Contour fan controller

• Sponsors (?)

All I really want is for them to kick on at say 160 or 170 and kick off when it gets 10degrees colder. I don’t care about two speed or ac over ride. So all I would need is that leash dual 70 amp relay, some 10 gauge wire, and a thermo switch? @TOOLOW91
Pig tails for the fans . Smaller wire for your relay trigger 12v and ground . You’re good to go

Reactions: 1 user
I did the wrecking yard/ parts car parts...

Lots of options, everyone has their favorite.

A simple way to achieve a 2-speed operation is to use the Volvo 2-speed fan relay, and BMW dual temp switch. The BMW switch is a 180F on and a 195*F on. On the contour fan, you would simply take advantage of the built in resistor to step down for low speed.

1641520371801.png

This is the volvo relay. You can get them for about $30-40 on ebay with the wiring. maybe $20 for the BMW switch. You'll need to figure out where to mount the switch and might need a metrs to 3/8npt adapter to install it into the intake.

1641520414510.png

I'm using a $15 Infiniti Q50 PWM fan controller. It features a soft-start feature so that you never have a huge voltage spike on startup. Highest Amperage reading i saw was around 25amps with the fan on full power. When using a relay, the initial load on startup was over 100AMPs for a second. Downside to using this sort of PWM controller is that you need something to generate a signal to the controller so it knows how to ramp the fan up/down. If you have an aftermarket EFI setup, you can typically use those to output a PWM signal for fan control, in which case you are all set. In terms of stand-along signal generation, you would need to build something using an Arduino. Not the most intuitive method so this sort of control setup is really only ideal for those with an aftermarket ECU setup that can control a fan using a 250-500Hz PWM signal.

Here's a general overview if someone is interested

View: https://youtu.be/N-o8yFmQQgo

Reactions: 1 users
What type of switch are you using? I really like that leash relay board but was unsure about how to control it independent of the ECU.
You could use a gm temp sensor , flexalite fan controller . Whatever you prefer . I ran a flexalite fan controller as the switch before I I had a stand alone ecu . Now my ecu triggers it

^^^This!

I used this controller for my contour fans without issue for years. Don’t over think it.
I think I'm going with the Autocool 85. It's a pwm controller and is far better designed than most of these other controllers. Check it out. I'm sure you'll be impressed too. Also, the one guy that builds these things is super cool and will answer any questions you have over the phone. Very small business but really good product.

The DCC works well and it is what I am currently using. Lead times are long and customer service is nothing short of terrible. This thread actually made me look back at my emails with Brian, the owner, and I was appalled.

Reactions: 1 user
The DCC works well and it is what I am currently using. Lead times are long and customer service is nothing short of terrible. This thread actually made me look back at my emails with Brian, the owner, and I was appalled.
I knew going in to expect a wait and not to expect direct attention from the maker. I thought the instructions were written well enough and I needed nothing further. The controller has worked perfectly for me.

Not to be a smart ass here but this is a serious question for you. Knowing the quality of the product and the negative aspect of customer service, would you buy it again?

I think I had one email exchange with him. I asked , “it’s been xx time since I ordered. Do you have an idea of a shipment date?” About a week went by before I got a response, “shipped today tracking # xxx”

Again, I knew what to expect so I wasn’t disappointed. And thanks for bringing it up because the op here should know what to expect as well. I should have mentioned it.

Good question @John Dirks Jr . I would need to do research about it. I currently am running a two speed thunderbird fan and plan to swap to a contour fan, using my DCC 2SP. I would most certainly be open to other options, like the ones posted above, if starting over because of my experience with customer support.

Brian Baskin of DCC controllers made a deal with Derale a few years ago allowing them to produce his controllers. So a Derale 16795 for example is a DCC controller if your worried about wait times.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Any relay anywhere anytime any wire
Sort of like my dads green beret motto
Anytime anywhere anyhow
All those above options are good I like the Volvo wrecking yard one for 5 bucks
You start looking at air ride relays and ABS pump relays on new cars at the junkyard and you will find some HD stuff for cheap that you can make work

The Volvo relays are a great option, but everyone always forgets the Contour wiring system option. Why not run Contour fans the way the factory did (almost). The factory triggered high and low speed via the ECU, in our cars we need an external trigger, either the BMW switch Mustang5L5 mentioned or the Audi/VW switch I used or any of the other sensor/trigger systems out there. The beauty of using the Contour wiring and relays is you don't have to worry if the system will work - it did from the factory.

How is the Contour wired ...

Contour Fans Schematic.jpg

This is how the Contour is wired with the exception of the fan switch here at the bottom and the starter solenoid. This is where you connect your sensing/trigger (whatever it is).

This past weekend I made a short video while at the wreckers showing what to take if you are picking one at your local yard.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmYFLhR12b8

If you are looking for more, you can grab part of (or all of) the fuse/relay box as well which will get you the Mega fuse and 70A relays.

Contour_fuse_box_top.jpg Contour Relays.jpg IMG_0848.JPG

Here you want the left half of the panel above. The yellow relay is used by Contour for A/C clutch, the two darker relays below it are the 70A units. If you can, remove the panel carefully and you can have the connection to the fans completely with OEM wiring and connections (it can be done, I have done it twice with my Mustang and F150 I converted to e-fans with a Contour control system).

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users