Convert 1990 GT to small front disc brakes

1990 GT

Jun 19, 2005
I need to convert my 1990 Mustang GT to the smaller 4 cyl. version front disc brakes due to the wheel tire combo that I am going to run on it. (Wheels won't fit over the big brakes) Can anyone tell me what all I will need to change? Just the rotors and calipers? Spindles? Thanks for any info. Also, does anyone have the parts that I need for sale? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of wheel are you going to run on it that won't fit with the stock brakes?
The stock 90 GT brakes are small to begin with and fit most wheels.
What are your plans for the car? If it is just drag racing then I would not put smaller 4 cylinder brakes on it as the stock GT brakes are bad enough helping you stop.

I bought some Old Style aluminum drag slots that are only 13", and the calipers on my car are too big to fit inside of them. I have converted my car to rear discs, so stopping shouldn't be problem. I agree that the brakes aren't really that big, but the calipers are pretty large. I tried to find some 14" wheels like these to fit the car, but I never could find any.

1990 GT said:
I bought some Old Style aluminum drag slots that are only 13", and the calipers on my car are too big to fit inside of them. I have converted my car to rear discs, so stopping shouldn't be problem.
The front wheels are 13" x 6", and the rears are 13" x 9".

13 inches? Wow!

Actually the front brakes do most of the stopping, not the rears. I would look into getting longer front studs and getting spacers for your wheels. It would be easier and cheaper and you will have better braking ability. Not to mention save you a lot of work just to get those wheels to fit.

It might be easier and cheaper to just find a set of used wheels that will already fit, unless you are just set in making those work.

I thought about the spacer idea, but after measuring the gap, I would have to space them about 2", and I really didn't want to do that. I know that I would be giving up some braking power, but I would still like to at least try it.

I would like to try the smaller brakes. I really want to run these wheels if possible. Does anyone have the spindles, rotors and calipers from a 4 banger Mustang they want to sell?

Stupid idea putting smaller brakes on your car. I had an 83 5.0 that came with basically 87-93 stock 4 cylinder brakes. Running 110 mph at the end of the track, I had just enough room to stop it at the LAST turn around at the end of the strip. Bad move man. Get new wheels, it's not worth the time and effort, and horrible braking power you will get.