Convertable Door Replacement.

93 LX

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2000
Norwalk, CA.
Working my my 86 that has been totaled. Have to get the body in shape to salvage the car. I pickeup up a left front fender and nose from a cherry 4 bamger 86 LX coupe. Now the hunt is on for a convertable left door.

I noticed when I removed the fender that there are 6 bolts that hold the door to the chassis. If I remove the door at this point is it a pain to align? Some one mentioned removing the door at the pins, has anyone done this? I am assuming there are bolts that hold the hinges to the door, is this the better way to go?

Can anyone give me some tips on door removal and installation?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It's easy to align the door just have 2 people when your bolting it on. I replaced the pins w/ new ones when I had mine apart for paint and literally took 5 min go get it perfect..I don't see how you can remove the pins w/o the door being off. I noticed you said the car was totaled....umm if your frame is bent your never gonna get anything to line up. g/l

Well the insurance company totaled it. What happend was a 5 mph hit from a semi. It hit the drivers door just behind the front fender and flattened the fender forward. The frame looks good and the car drives straight. I need to fix this so I can get it certified and back as a salvaged title.

they all started out as coupes ford never made a fox vert they were sent to a company to have their roofs removed. take a hardtop door and lay is beside a vert door cut and trim as necessary to make it work

Heh, No offense, but I never heard that before and I would not think that Ford would take a hard top car off the assy. line to send it out and have it chopped. That makes no sense! The 'Vert doors are reinforced inside more than hard top's. I used to own a 92'.

I do not know anything about the particulars of the ’86 convertible mustang door, but I have replaced door hinge bushings on my 1990 mustang and also a 1994 gmc yucon. Both where pretty much equivalent. In both cases I separated the door from the chassis at the hinge pivot point (without removing any bolts on the door or on the chassis – disassembled at the pivot pins).

I did not have to do any lining up, like you would, since I was using all original parts. I do not know how that plays in. I was glad that I did not have to mess with removing any of the hinge-chassis or door-hinge bolts.

I did both door hinge pin/bushing replacements on my own. The first time, I built wooden braces to hold the doors in place for the disassembly/assembly process. The second time I borrowed “door jacks” from a body repair man I knew. This made things much easier. Let me know if you have any more specific questions – but the gist of this post is: if you’re your 1986 mustang is anything like my 1990 mustang or 1994 gmc Yukon, you can separate the door from the chassis at the pins (without removing any bolts), and I recommend you plan ahead for a method to hold the door up if you are doing this on your own.

Heh, No offense, but I never heard that before and I would not think that Ford would take a hard top car off the assy. line to send it out and have it chopped. That makes no sense! The 'Vert doors are reinforced inside more than hard top's. I used to own a 92'.

believe it. it's true.

There are 3 different windows for Mustangs. Convertible, T-top, and coupe/hatchback.

You need either a convertible door or a t-top door with convertible door glass inside it.

If you get desperate you could make a convertible door as suggested but you should be able to find a good one and not have to go to all of that trouble. You would still have to replace the window.

The only things I removed were the pins and bushings. If I remember, it was a tight fit to get the pins out, but they came out. That is why having the door support was so handy, I could take my time to finagle the pins out.

The current door is just flat from where the semi decided to take my lane. The glass is good as well as the internals. I will pull out everything do not need to cut costs and allow me to carry it to the payment center.