Fox Convertible Doors On T-top?

Davedacarpainter

Chicks can make things hard if they’re inspired...
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
I'm picking up a couple convertible '83 doors for my blue car tonight.

They look to be in great condition from th CL post, quite a bit better than at least the ones on Robby. https://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/5676501247.html

He's selling them to me for $230, I'm happy with that price.

The guy I'm getting them from (oddly enough) sent me a link to an old Stangnet thread http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/t-top-doors-for-foxbody.654241/

I wanted to start a new thread to see if there is any new info that y'all might have about the differences in the doors.

Obviously I can change out the guts from Robby's doors to the new ones. It sounds like the glass is the main difference.

If the doors are in real good shape, I'm going to have them media blasted and at the very minimum get them in a nice coat of black primer. I might even go ahead an shoot them in kona blue just so I can have inspiration to keep my butt moving on the eventual build.

Tell me what you guys know that can be of help.

I'll be starting a thread on Robby in about two weeks. This'll just be a shorter progress thread on getting him running. I've already bought other parts and I will post pictures soon.

One last picture of where it started:
image.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

They look to be in great condition from th CL post, quite a bit better than at least the ones on Robby. https://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/5676501247.html

The guy I'm getting them from (oddly enough) sent me a link to an old Stangnet thread http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/t-top-doors-for-foxbody.654241/

I wanted to start a new thread to see if there is any new info that y'all might have about the differences in the doors.

Obviously I can change out the guts from Robby's doors to the new ones. It sounds like the glass is the main difference.

If the doors are in real good shape, I'm going to have them media blasted and at the very minimum get them in a nice coat of black primer. I might even go ahead an shoot them in kona blue just so I can have inspiration to keep my butt moving on the eventual build.

I'll be starting a thread on Robby in about two weeks. This'll just be a shorter progress thread on getting him running. I've already bought other parts and I will post pictures soon.

image.jpeg
I thought I was up early...

Looking forward to Robby's build! I'd love to snag a few parts off of that TurboCoupe in the background.

Reactions: 1 user
Ttop and Vert doors are the same. Even the glass is the same I believe. The difference is in the seals on the pillar and roof line. There was a guy in corral that used vert doors on his hard top and converted to ttop weather seals so he could eliminate the window frames. Looked pretty trick.

image.jpeg

Wait wait wait wait wait. Kona blue??

I thought we were going with deep impact blue?...When did this change? I WAS NOT notified!!

:crap:

:p

Reactions: 1 users
Wait wait wait wait wait. Kona blue??

I thought we were going with deep impact blue?...When did this change? I WAS NOT notified!!

:crap:

:p
I could change, I originally wanted kona blue because it is closest to the original.

Then you started whoring pictures of your sexy new car with it's pretty paint, PLUS that pretty blue on your son's car that looks real close to your new mustang's color, and I started having doubts about kona. Still might go with deep impact blue.

Btw, how close is your son's car's color to your new mustang? It looks real close in pictures.

Ttop and Vert doors are the same. Even the glass is the same I believe. The difference is in the seals on the pillar and roof line. There was a guy in corral that used vert doors on his hard top and converted to ttop weather seals so he could eliminate the window frames. Looked pretty trick.
When I was reading the original thread, one of the guys said they were different and that he would post pictures, it's been ten years so I'm thinking he might not. I will when I do the change out next month.

I could change, I originally wanted kona blue because it is closest to the original.

Then you started whoring pictures of your sexy new car with it's pretty paint, PLUS that pretty blue on your son's car that looks real close to your new mustang's color, and I started having doubts about kona. Still might go with deep impact blue.

Btw, how close is your son's car's color to your new mustang? It looks real close in pictures.

Pretty close!
image.png

I bought the doors today, they're laying in the back of my pick up as I type this.

Tomorrow I will strip them to the shell and will drop them off with one of our local media blasters next Monday. They say they'll charge $50 per door. Good deal to me.

I'll etch primer them afterwards and put regular high build primer on them after that. Then after a day of hardening I'll seam seal them and block them out. If they're good, I may paint them whatever blue I choose after that.

I'll post pictures of them at work tomorrow.

Truthfully Allen, I like the deep impact blue better, slightly darker.

Me too. (Don't tell the kid)

I like Kona too, but it looks good on the Shelbys to be honest. I think it was actually an original 1967/68 color the put on the GT500 KR cars, wasn't it? I know it winds up on a lot of A/C Cobras.

Me too. (Don't tell the kid)

I like Kona too, but it looks good on the Shelbys to be honest. I think it was actually an original 1967/68 color the put on the GT500 KR cars, wasn't it? I know it winds up on a lot of A/C Cobras.
You are correct to an extent. They "modernized" it with pearls and a richer base blue for the new cars. Kind of what I was thinking about when I painted Doby the red I did, and what I'm thinking about for Robby.

Chrysler is doing the same thing, the Hemi-orange is a modern version of the original, they've added a little pearl to it.