Convertible Rear Window Alignment

benea

Oct 20, 2007
Columbus, MS
I know everyone knows what a pain the rear windows on the convertible are but does anyone have a clue as to the best way to get them aligned so they will come up with the top up? I have to raise the windows first and then put my top up, otherwise the windows will jam against the back of the window track. So of course I can't put them down either unless I drop the top.

• Sponsors (?)

I have just the opposite problem, I can't have my rear windows up before I put the top up, they don't end up in the tracks. They go up and down fine with the top up, but one side kind of rolls up the weatherstripping at the top as the window tilts forward, I just need to re-glue that piece to fix that.

I'm guessing it's just not sliding in the weatherstripping like it should, how old is your weatherstripping? If it's new you might think about some kind of lube, if they're old you might just replace the rear pieces, they might just be worn out and hanging the window up.

take off the 1/4 panels and grease the tracks. if the windows havnt been used in a while sometimes rust and dirt will cause the windows to stick. there are also some shims that are held in with bolts or phillips head screws, I cant remember which that will allow you to adjust to the left or to the right. You will also want to check the trim that is attached to your top and holds the windows when the top is up. there are 2 10mm bolts that hold them in and they sometimes come loose and will allow the trim piece to move not allowing your window to go up or down properly.

I have that book too, I did not find it that helpful, but it is still better than nothing. the best bit of info I found in there was how to adjust the alignment on the frame.