Convertible Rear Window Problem

frogbit

Mar 30, 2005
Guys,
My '94 Cobra vert top has decided to unglue the rear glass from the vinyl creating an opening in the bottom and letting H2o in the back, Not good!!

I took the car to a top guy this morning and he said ther's nothing he could do because the top is shrinking and pulling the glass away from the vinyl.
Is there anyone out there who has run into this and maybe has a fix? I'm going to try some super glue but I'd like to know if maybe the vinyl can be stretched...Any ideas????

• Sponsors (?)

frogbit said:
Guys,
My '94 Cobra vert top has decided to unglue the rear glass from the vinyl creating an opening in the bottom and letting H2o in the back, Not good!!

I took the car to a top guy this morning and he said ther's nothing he could do because the top is shrinking and pulling the glass away from the vinyl.
Is there anyone out there who has run into this and maybe has a fix? I'm going to try some super glue but I'd like to know if maybe the vinyl can be stretched...Any ideas????

the same thing happened to my top when it was getting old.
now, the top guy you took the car to told you he can't reglue it because frankly, he wants you to replace the back window (that would be my guess)

yes, you may have to repair the black vinyl, but there will be a top guy around who will do it for you. I had my back window repaired rather than replaced because I didn't find sense in spending $400 more on a perfectly fine, tinted window.

good luck :nice:

It won't work. I tried glue, silicone and canvas adhesive. No luck. Now that its seperating.... Youre gonna need a new window and top. You cant replace one without the other. I just ordered a new top in the stayfast material instead of the cheap vinyl. Mines a 94 and the top was replaced with the same crap 2 years go. It already needed replacement. Do yourself a favor and spring for a better quality top. Why pay the install fe more than you ned to!!! :bang:

well, considering the rear window doesn't actually connect to the top, you could probably get a new rear window curtain if that's what it's called... i haven't researched it much because the goop is holding up pretty well, BUT, i remember some talk about it when i was redoing my top

Mine did this & I took it to a uphlustry (SP) shop & they used some window black sticky stuff. It has held up for 2.5 years so far with no problems. The stuff is made to stick to windows. I left the car there over night for it to cure. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the stuff.

I wouldn't use super glue, because once you use it, its pretty screwed for other types of adhesive. Try to take it to another shop to get a second optinion, and if thats no good, find the stickiest glue made and some good clamps to hold the canvas from wanting to seperate from the glass until it has enough time to cure. Good luck.

94CobraPace said:
Mine did this & I took it to a uphlustry (SP) shop & they used some window black sticky stuff. It has held up for 2.5 years so far with no problems. The stuff is made to stick to windows. I left the car there over night for it to cure. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the stuff.

Likely Sikaflex. That stuff works great.

We use it at work to hold windshields to RV's. They are probably 8 feet wide and 8 feet tall, extremely heavy, and sikaflex is the only stuff holding it on. It works awesome.

You can probably find it at ace hardware or home depot. But you should call first, I have never needed to use it, with the exception of work.

A RV parts department will have it definately, as well as any windshield replacement shop.
Scott

I used duct tape until I fixed it. I then went to Pep Boys and bought some black glue but I can't remember for what it was for. I think it was for glueing the rubber trim around the doors. Good Luck.

I had the same problem a while ago. I used a window and door silicone from the local hardware store and it has worked great. You have to take most of the day letting it dry nice and good with the top half up, but it dries clear and good. That was last year and I haven't had any problems since.