convertible top motor quit working halfway down....

tomazzo

Mar 22, 2003
Shreveport, La
went to put my top down tonite to take my daughter to dinner, and half way down, the motor quit,and the top slowly went down anyway. pushing or pulling the top switch produces clicking by I am assuming the relays for the motor. found and checked the circuit breaker no 12 in the fuse box and it shows continuity. Any thing else I need to check before I order a new motor?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Monahan
93 Canary Yellow Feature Car

• Sponsors (?)

Sometimes its the relay but most of the time its the motor. I've got two fox verts, one of which I've owned since '88. Been there quite a few times on these over the years. Usually when the motor clicks when the switch is push/pulled means its done.

Do the usual checks, wire connections, relays, ect, ect, and try eliminate any other possibilitys. The top relay is located behind the rear seat near the top motor along side the fuel pump relay. Relays are cheap. Replace it first just to see. A new top motor can cost around $200 bucks give or take.

If you have a strong back "or a helper" you can raise the top manually by pulling on both sides together. Its tough because your also moving hydraulic fluid through the lines.

Good Luck

You said you can hear the relays when you hit the switch, so it's not the switch. The relays can still be bad, but not likely. Check the relays with a test light, if they're good then check the connections between the relays and the pump. If the pump shows power when you hit the switch, and doesn't do anything then you need to replace the pump. I did a write up on the R & R since I just did it you can find it here http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/820888-vert-top-lift-pump.html