Convertible top quit

foxbodybill89

Jan 19, 2020
Sioux Falls, SD
I went to put the top down on my 89 for the first time this year, the top started opening for a couple seconds then stopped. Fuses and wiring up front are fine and I can hear the up-down relays click in the back when I move the switch, but the top does nothing. From what I see in my wiring book it seems it's probably the motor itself, but I figured I'd better see what you all think before replacing the most expensive part first.

• Sponsors (?)

When you press the switch you need to make sure the motor is getting power. I've had a bad relay that still would click. If you have power and ground at the motor and it doesn't work then replace it.

Thanks, that's mostly what I was wondering about. I can at least rule out everything up to the relays which is good but I didn't know if a bad relay would still click. Are they a standard type of relay or something specific? I'm still thinking motor though because both directions don't work, I doubt both relays would crap out at exactly the same time. Guess I'll be removing the custom rear seat delete this weekend and getting out the multimeter....

Interestingly enough, the convertible top motor is the same part number from 1965 through 1993. It had a ridiculously long run.

Make sure you keep track of the trunk liner hardware. A mechanic lost mine and I still can't find replacements.

I've used a Junk yard top motor from a newer mustang...sn95 body style. Forgot what had to be done to make it work but it worked flawlessly.

Got in there yesterday, in the spirit of "work smarter not harder" I first tapped on the motor with a screwdriver and it started working. If it quits again I'll probably just replace the motor and probably the rest of the system seeing as it's all original. I also discovered that the nut had come off the inside retainer plate at the top of the driver side cylinder and the cylinder popped off the pins making the top raise crooked, never know what you'll stumble upon when you open things up on a 30 year old car...

Reactions: 1 user