Convertible Top Replaced, now a question

tr7driver

Sep 5, 2006
Illinois
Ford just put a new convertible top on my 05 GT (Under warranty, it’s a long story with a good ending, Go Ford!) and I just picked it up Friday. It is a little tight to get the pin lined up on the header at the driver’s side and requires a little muscle to pull up and lock it in. Before, the pin would just about land in the hole by itself when I put the top up. Will this stretch any with time or warmer temperatures?

Heller Ford, El Paso, IL, (REALLY GREAT SERVICE DEPT, I WILL ONLY GO THERE FROM NOW ON!) has really gone the extra mile for me on this, Especially since I bought the car used in Texas, so I hate to go back and complain to them if this is something that could take care of itself. On the other hand, there is only about a year left on the warranty, so I don’t want to let it linger if this will be an ongoing issue.

Also: It is parchment color. Any recommendations for keeping this light color looking nice and clean? The car looks brand new, like it just rolled off the assembly line today. =o)

• Sponsors (?)

Can i ask what was wrong with the first top? I dont know if mine is going to make the first 3 years. I use raggtop cond and it looks better then it did new.

It likely will stretch over time. Was it cold when you tried to latch it? I would watch it and if there is still a problem in a month or so I would take it back to Ford. You want it tight but not so that it is impossible to fasten. That's my experience with a 1966 convertible, not a new one.

The top will stretch out over the next couple of months (weeks). The installer probably had to warm up the top to just get it installed in the first place. :)

Be glad that they got it nice and tight, because there is nothing worse than a Convertible top "billowing" in the wind when you are going down the highway.

btorlv said:
Can i ask what was wrong with the first top? I dont know if mine is going to make the first 3 years. I use raggtop cond and it looks better then it did new.

The lift mechinism failed, and it was repaired wrong.... The top material actually was in pretty good shape, but it had a few stains. The car spent its first two years in Texas and appears to have been garaged and well cared for.

tr7driver said:
The lift mechinism failed, and it was repaired wrong.... The top material actually was in pretty good shape, but it had a few stains. The car spent its first two years in Texas and appears to have been garaged and well cared for.
I have some problems locking the drivers side on mine ,,,

a bit off topic here, but 2 years ago the 05 Verts hadnt been produced yet , let alone sold and garaged !:)