Paint and Body Convertible Windshield Frame Clearcoat Cleanup

Quahetus

Dec 27, 2019
Nashville, TN
Anyone know how to clean this up? I'm hoping it doesn't involve painting. I'm not sure if this is an extra layer of clear coat or a clear sticker put in place to protect the paint from the convertible top opening and closing.
Windshield Nastiness.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

It looks like a clear protector/sticker for the top to prevent it from rubbing into to paint due to driving vibrations and top functionality. You could get an eraser wheel that goes onto the end of a drill and try to get that off, 3M Adhesive remover will probably come in handy after its removed. I bet it would require paint after removal though. Probably not much paint material under that, or its just ate in to the paint over time.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I had some time today to work on it. It's definitely some kind of protective clear sticker. Not sure if it was a factory item or aftermarket. I had one of these cars 20 years ago and I don't remember it having this sticker... But that was 20 years ago! Anyway... I applied some GooGone to it and waited a couple hours. It softened up enough where I could scrape it off with my fingernail or a soft plastic scraper. Looking better, but it did remove a lot of paint that was flaking underneath.
Going to end up in the paint booth afterall.

20191229_193157.jpg