converting from AOD to 5sp on Fox

sallystrothers

Feb 23, 2008
Just the other day I found my 91 LX not shifting out of 1st gear on the AOD. After checking the TV test port all of my pressures check out but it still doesn't shift even after making some minor adjustments to the torottle cable. Methinks I will be taking the tranny out and I figured if I was going to do that I might as well just swap in a manual tranny.

It gets a little more complicated because I have a windsor carbureted conversion so does anyone know of any complications with the swap to a T5 having a windsor block? Would a rebuilt T5 be able to withstand 700hp?

I found a write up here but it requires a subscription, does anyone know of any other write ups that don't require one?

FORDMUSCLE webmagazine: Mustang AOD to T5 Swap. Transmission Swap. Auto to manual conversion.

• Sponsors (?)

better pop for a tko 600 thats the only 5spd that will hold that and last youll have to get the bell housing and all for it but 5.0 and windsor all bolt up as u know since ur already using an aod

It gets a little more complicated because I have a windsor carbureted conversion so does anyone know of any complications with the swap to a T5 having a windsor block?

WINDSOR BLOCK is a windsor block, t-5 will bolt up to it (using a windsor bellhousing) doesnt matter if it is a 302 or a 351 the back is the same.

is it in a fox??? yes? still hooks up the same as a fuel injected motor

Would a rebuilt T5 be able to withstand 700hp?

nope. get a 500 or 600. t-5's are decent up to 300-350 range. then they start to fall apart. especially as peeps w/ that much horsepower are always gunning it.

good luck. swap is easy, pedal swap is the most time consuming. I have done a few of them and they get easier each time. where do you live?

WINDSOR BLOCK is a windsor block, t-5 will bolt up to it (using a windsor bellhousing) doesnt matter if it is a 302 or a 351 the back is the same.

is it in a fox??? yes? still hooks up the same as a fuel injected motor

nope. get a 500 or 600. t-5's are decent up to 300-350 range. then they start to fall apart. especially as peeps w/ that much horsepower are always gunning it.

good luck. swap is easy, pedal swap is the most time consuming. I have done a few of them and they get easier each time. where do you live?

Thanks for the replies. I live in Northern Virginia, know anyone in that area that has done the swap before? I'm not worried about removing the AOD and installing the T5 but getting all the pedal configuration set up and linkage to the tranny would be new to me.

Ampperformance sells a conversion kit . Thats where i got mine . Pedels and some of the other stuff are used and tranny , bellhousing , and clutch are new . Everything fits right no mods and clutch is cable operrated.

If you need help then ask away. pretty easy to do but can be overwhelming. The pedals just suck as they are up in there. Make sure you have a universal socket bit to help out with the weird angles and a wide selection of extensions. the swap is totally worth it in my opinion. I dont care for the aod in the foxes and love letting the car hang in a gear for a bit to hear the exhaust. a kid at heart I guess.