Coolant in oil

latamud

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Tampa, FL
Started up my new engine without coolant for about 1 minute just to make sure everything was working, was idling at 50psi on the oil gauge. i shut the engine down and filled the radiator. Started up again and no oil pressure at the gauge, I shut the engine down and pulled the dipstick, it was only lightly milky hadn't completely mixed with the oil but was evident.
I have three ideas where the leak is happening, at the head gasket or at the intake gasket or timing cover. Is there anywhere else?

• Sponsors (?)

Head gaskets got cooked. 1 minute is too long for an engine to run with no coolant.:nono:

Thanks D. I was thinking head gasket too but not cooked. This is my first time using cometic gaskets and I was thinking maybe coolant might leak between the multi layers somehow. The remote oil filter lines were milky and the filter too, I think the filter got clogged. Didn't hear any knocking but I'm going to put new bearings in again anyway just for peace of mind. I did drain the coolant at the water pump and drain the oil out of the pan and remote oil filter lines, replaced the oil filter. I yanked the distributor and primed the engine and have oil pressure again.

Back to the drawing board.