Coolant in oil

redmustangt

May 14, 2009
Ok I finally FINALLY got my car running right and I check my oil and there is a lot of coolant in it. I check my coolant and its full of oil.
Now Im pretty sure that its not my head gaskets as I had my heads resurfaced and the block is brand new and I installed the gaskets with the engine on a stand and I followed the torque specs to the letter. But just to check myself today I re torqued all the headstuds (Yes I used ARPs specs not the tty). After doing this I put coolant in the car and left the oil pan drain plug out to see if the coolant would drain over.
I filled the reservoir to pretty much overflowing and oil/coolant started leaking out of the oil pan but very slowly, a drop at a time. I spun the starter (with no fuel or ignition) and the dripping stops and then starts when I let off the crank.
Now I checked it two hours later and its barely dripping maybe a drop every 30 seconds and after two hours its drained about a coffee mug full of coolant/oil.
The only other thing that I can think of checking is the oil filter housing for leaks or maybe using some head gasket repair and hope that it fixes it.
Any ideas or advice because im about to light this car on fire.

• Sponsors (?)

How much assembly lube did you use? I have read threads were too much lube was used and it filled the bottom of the blind bolt holes. When the head bolts were inserted, the lube hydro-locked the bolt. As a result, the torque wrench indicated correct torque but the head clamping force was much too little.

Another source of oil/water mixing is the intake coolant crossover. Any issues installing the intake? Did the sealing surfaces look good? How did you clean them?

Good luck.

I am using fel pro gaskets. And I used the assembly lube sparingly. I put a little on the bottom threads so it would track all the way up the stud as I threaded it.
I picked up a new filter housing gasket and replaced it, using RTV along with the gasket this time, and refilled my reservoir. After about six hours the reservoir is still full and only a negligible amount of mix drained out of my pan. Looking at it its mostly oil too so hopefully the problem is fixed and what came out now was just some of the mix that was on the engine side and still sitting in the bottom sump of the pan. Im gonna let it sit for another day or so to make sure but fingers crossed.

Actually the oil filter housing gasket maybe your problem, it deals with oil and coolant.

vicb31584_1.jpg