Coolant Leak very odd

I've got a fairly bad coolant leak, but can't tell specifically where it's actually coming from. It rolls down the timing cover down the left side of the front where the harmonic balancer is then down on to the k-member down to the ground, it's getting hot and steaming, but i can't specifically find where it is, it's not like it's the water pump itself, or the thermostat housing above, could it be a badly blown head gasket, wouldn't my engine run bad???? Please help.

Wayne

• Sponsors (?)

I have a coolant leak also, but not with my stang. It started when it started to get cold at night. I took it to the dealership and they said it was coming from my radiator. But I don't always trust them, so it's at another shop as we speak getting another look at it. So you might want to check and see if it's coming from the radiator.

teenv6 said:
I have a coolant leak also, but not with my stang. It started when it started to get cold at night. I took it to the dealership and they said it was coming from my radiator. But I don't always trust them, so it's at another shop as we speak getting another look at it. So you might want to check and see if it's coming from the radiator.

It's not the radiator, i can see the coolant when the engine is running, it's following the path of the front cover gasket, but i can't differentiate the place where it's coming from, and there is a ford TSB about the gaskets leaking for the front cover, and i'm afraid that may be it.

Wayne

hiattwl said:
It's not the radiator, i can see the coolant when the engine is running, it's following the path of the front cover gasket, but i can't differentiate the place where it's coming from, and there is a ford TSB about the gaskets leaking for the front cover, and i'm afraid that may be it.

Wayne

Sorry man, that's what my car's problem was. Just maybe thinking we were having the same problem with the coolant leaking out... :shrug:

Good luck

if it's running down your timing cover......there's a pretty good chance that's where it's coming from.

That's if it's not coming out of the seep hole from the water pump/intake/heater hoses/etc.

Just check it one day when the engine is dry.....then start it and see where it's coming from. It's not that hard to pull the water pump/timing cover to see, you'd just need new gaskets

Had a good friend put a pressure tester on it today, coolant shot like a cannon out of the timing cover above the harmonic balancer like i thought. Anyway, he's a master mechanic for ford and is going to do the swap for me. Anyway, thanks for all your help, and it sucks that this had to happen right as I was about to get the wreck damage fixed.

Wayne

i have the same problem, but the weird thing is that it comes and goes. so i haven't fixed it yet. but i've priced a new water pump and gasket at 95 bucks, so i'm gonna get the gasket, and hope i don't need to replace the pump or the timing chain cover.

if you're gonna change out the gasket....you might as well change out the water pump while you're there.....those things do go out. Last time I had a water leak on my other car, I changed the gasket, and just a couple months later, my water pump went out. Good preventative maintenance.....

BTW, was the leak coming from the top of the timing cover, or out of the front crank seal??

98CobraClone said:
if you're gonna change out the gasket....you might as well change out the water pump while you're there.....those things do go out. Last time I had a water leak on my other car, I changed the gasket, and just a couple months later, my water pump went out. Good preventative maintenance.....

BTW, was the leak coming from the top of the timing cover, or out of the front crank seal??

on mine, it's coming out about half way down the timing cover.