Coolant Temp Sensor

rjpbboi

Jan 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi guys,
I'm not getting a coolant temp reading on my gauge. The computer one seems fine though, because it didn't come up in the engine codes, but the gauge one's bad. It looks like someone put an extra nut on it and for that reason, the lead on the wire isn't making a good connection to the sensor. The nut isn't coming off so I figured I'd spend the 10 buck to just buy a new sensor. I went down to Autozone and asked for the sensor and he gave me a different looking one. I told him I was looking for the gauge coolant temp sensor, on the intake manifold and he told me he didn't have that and had never heard of it. So when I got home I took a picture of the sensor to make sure that it is indeed the coolant temp sensor, and that's all I'm looking for, confirmation that this is indeed the gauge coolant temp sensor.

100-1.jpg

101.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The coolant sensor in your picture is for the dash temp gauge. It has only a singe wire push on connector.

The Engine Coolant Temp or ECT that the computer uses is in the flow pipe for the heater tubing. It uses a 2 pin plastic shell weather tight connector.

See AutoZone.com | | Coolant Temperature Sensor | COOLANT TEMP SENSOR for the ECT sensor

FWIW, when I needed one, it was like 4.19 at CSK (checker and company).

Technically it's a sender or sending unit. In contrast, the thing that Jrichker showed (the ECT) is a sensor. Sometimes parts stores make the same differentiation in their listings.