Coolant temperature sensor

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
How often are you guys changing these? As far as I know mine is original and its got about 125k on it. I know this is an important sensor. How much are they from ford?

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I changed mine at 100K. I used a parts store sensor made by Bosch. I think that one cost about $25. I never had a code for the sensor, but just changed it since it was the only sensor i had still original.

white5oh said:
I had a quick ? about the sensor. I just noticed on my stang 92. That when i turn on my light the gauge jumps a full notch on the temp scale? WTF could be causing that?
i think you mean the gauge 'sender', not the coolant sensor (ECT-Engine Coolant Temp sensor).

the stock gauges suck (at least oil and temp). the fluctuation you describe are more likely due to the voltage drop from the headlights at idle.

you could/should install a 2nd temp guage. next time you flip on your lights, first rev the motor to ~2500 rpm and hold it there. then turn on the lights. i would bet that your guage fluctuates less, since your alt will be putting out more juice at higher rpm.
when i come down to idle, all of my gauges read a little off. stock alt sucks.

good luck.

I had the same problem with my 91 gt. I would turn the headlights on and the temp guage would go up around 20 degrees, turn off the headlights goes back down..

The jump in temp with lights on is normal for the stock gauges. There ground reference isn't so good so you get an error in the reading. There are two temperature sensors, one for the gauge and one for the PCM. The one for the guage is just behind the distributor on the intake manifold and the one for the PCM is on the tube to the heater that comes off the intake manifold.

I tried an after market sensor for the guage and it indicated way high so I got one from FORD and it works right.

Don

and gauge sender is under 5 bucks from the parts store. dont know about oem cost. probably 5 times that.