Engine Cooling 347 Stroker

Pierino

May 16, 2015
Wondering if I should be concerned.

I have a '84 stand convertible, 5.0 rebuilt with 347 Stroker kit, bored .40...all new internals, pretty radical cam, estimated between 500-600 hp...aluminum heads, etc... brand new aluminum 3 row radiator, aluminum shroud dual electric puller fan. The guy who did the rebuild is somewhat old school and installed a 160 thermostat. Car runs great.

Here is my dilemma, actually wondering if I have one....cooler spring weather here in NW Pennsylvania, car runs between 160 and 170 no fans needed. When summer outdoor temp gets up into 80s car will run 190 open road cruising and in traffic, fans on. At times pulling a long hill will climb to 195 but so far never higher, and will come back down again to 185-190

Someone told me that "cooling nirvana" is operating temp within 5-10 degrees of thermostat. Is 190 too hot? Considering my set up should it be cooler? Do I need a larger radiator, is one even available?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome.

I highly doubt the motor is anwhere near 500hp on a stock block, but that is besides the point.

The 160 thermostat does nothing to cool the motor.. All it does is control the temp at which the thermostat opens up. The radiator, cooling system,, fan, engine,coolant conditiondetermine how hot the car will run . Your engine runs best at around 190-200 degrees. That is why Ford engineers put a 192 degree thermostat in it. There is nothing wrong with the motor running at that temp. In fact, if you put the correct stock thermostat back in, you will notice the temperature of the motor is more even and you will get better mpg and hp. The lower temp stat does not allow the coolant sufficient time in the radiator to cool off and ends up cycling hotter coolant back into the engine.

Make sense?