Cooling Fan Failure

P J Moran

Oct 8, 2003
I have an '03 Mach 1. The cooling fan has quit working (high speed, at least). Here's what I have discovered:
- Jumpering directly to battery yielded lots of sparks, but no run with power to either terminal
- The high speed fuse (50a) is blown. The low speed fuse (30a) is not.
- I can turn the fan by hand, but it's far from free-wheeling. It also squeaks as I turn it. It's like it has an o-ring on the shaft, or something like that.

I have not yet tested to see if I'm getting full voltage from the relays, yet. But, what I've found points me to a bad fan.

My jumpering was less than ideal, but I think it should have been adequate to test the fan. Whatever I did is drawing plenty of current.

Assuming a new fan is in my future, any recommendations for replacement? Stock replacement from Ford? A better aftermarket version?

• Sponsors (?)

I have an '03 Mach 1. The cooling fan has quit working (high speed, at least). Here's what I have discovered:
- Jumpering directly to battery yielded lots of sparks, but no run with power to either terminal
- The high speed fuse (50a) is blown. The low speed fuse (30a) is not.
- I can turn the fan by hand, but it's far from free-wheeling. It also squeaks as I turn it. It's like it has an o-ring on the shaft, or something like that.

I have not yet tested to see if I'm getting full voltage from the relays, yet. But, what I've found points me to a bad fan.

My jumpering was less than ideal, but I think it should have been adequate to test the fan. Whatever I did is drawing plenty of current.

Assuming a new fan is in my future, any recommendations for replacement? Stock replacement from Ford? A better aftermarket version?
To me one of the biggest clues is the fact that the fan bearings are not free spinning.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner with bi-directional control? If so this gives you the ability to "command" the fan to run. Much better way to test.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

IMO a stock replacement fan is the best option.

Reactions: 1 user