Cooling/heating Issue

Michael Gordon

Active User
Jan 1, 2017
Hey guys (and girls), I have no news about the insurance company yet, so I'll just leave my accident alone for a bit. We're talking engine temp for now. I've been working on my own cars for more than several years now. Cooling seems like a universal, straight forward system, but I haven't seen this before.

When starting up cold, sometimes the engine doesn't seem to be warming up. I'll drive for a couple of miles with the temp reading low, and no heat. So, I'll turn the heat to the off position, and wait. All of a sudden, the gauge reads really high, then falls back down to normal operating temp, and I have plenty of cabin heat.

I'll just wait for someone to tell me to replace the ECTS. LOL

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like that makes sense. Yeah, it is the stock gauge. I'm not going to play around with it until the insurance company comes to an agreement with me. It doesn't hover at the high temperature, so I'm not too worried.

P.S.

The ECTS thing is a joke. My Saturn forum tells everyone buying a used S car to replace it right away. Very good reason too. The original one was ceramic, and nine times out of ten it's cracked. A faulty ECTS causes a multitude of problems seemingly unrelated.

Last edited: