Cooling intake (or outtake) hose to heater core busted... need some help

Gators628

Oct 19, 2005
Hey guys. I have a 2000 GT and I had a colling hose bust on my way to work today. Definately was not a fun thing to pull off to the side of the road and see all of your cooling fluid leak onto the highway.

It looks like the nipple coming from the engine block going into the hose to the heater core just gave out. The actual connector broke off and I am wondering how easy (or hard) of a job it would be to replace the connector. Now I haven't had a whole lot of time to play around and look around. I just put a plug into where the connector broke and crimped the hose and drove the car back to the apt earlier today.

Any help or tips you guys could give owuld be so appreciative. I want to avoid taking it to a shop b/c of $$$.

Thanks.

mustangvj2.jpg
Shot at 2007-07-29

Attachments

• mustangvj2.jpg
    mustangvj2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 149
  • Sponsors (?)

Gator628:

From the looks of it the nipple on the intake is still OK. If that is the case, you can simply get a new hose (it has a restrictor in it) and slip it on to the intake nipple and the heater nipple. Be very careful with the spring clamps and don't let them snap, just ease off on the pliers and let the clamps gently tighten.

If the intake nipple broke, you're screwed (pardon my French). The intake will have to be replaced. It is not a hard job but it will take some time (anywhere from 2 to 6 hours, depending on how handy you are with a wrench and how quick you work). Again, not difficult but it takes some time. Look for write-ups on "intake swap" or similar and you'll see what is necessary. If you have a shop manual, the removal/installation procedures are nicely described. Take your time and keep the coolant out of the intake ports. I suggest you get a "real" Ford intake because the aftermarket plastic ones are not quite as good, imo (smaller plenum, skinnier runners, can't comment about the quality of plastic used, etc.).

HTH,

Chris

wmburns:

This is an elderly thread, lol.

The nipple on the intake is not stepped? It's been a while since I installed the PI intake so I do not recall if there is only a barbed section for the hose of if the nipple has a skinny section on top and a wider section where the clamp sits. If there is just a skinny section then, you are right (no surprise there), and the intake must be replaced. I don't know if a brass fitting could be tapped and JB-Welded in the remaining stump.

USsoldier01:

ebay BUT you must be careful. Dorman makes a replecement PI and NPI intake. I suggest sticking with a Motorcraft part (PI intake) but that's just my 2 cents.

Chris