Cooling issues

Nater

Sep 5, 2003
Maplewood, MN
Okay, I'll admit this isn't about my GT, rather about my '95 Jetta 2.0L winter beater. It all started when I replaced the waterpump and thermostat about 4 months ago. Since that time, I am on my 4th thermostat (I have tested the new one that was in there and the newer one I bought and verified both open at the OE temp of 195*), and have a new waterpump and new radiator. The hoses are fine and there are no leaks. I have run the engine to burp the system from air and am happy to report that heat finally comes out of the vents. When I put the thermostat in, I verified it is the correct way, not only by the markings on the stat, but in checking to see if it will go in backwards (which it won't). I drove it yesterday, it warmed up and then shot up to 230*, I drove some more and it went down to 195* then shot up and never recovered. I felt the lower radiator hose and it was a little cool. I did note that the radiator fans never came on, even with the a/c engaged (which never got cool). I guess I'll have to replace the relays if the motor is fine, but beyond that, I'm so confused as to why the lower hose is cool. Why?
Oh, the guys at VWVortex.com couldn't give me any insight to their own cars...

• Sponsors (?)