Cooling Problem

IndyBlk5.0

Nov 24, 2003
New Whiteland, IN
Well, ive been over heating in a matter of 5 minutes for the past few days. Take into concideration that i have had similar problems since ive had the car (about 2 months)So i parked it outside today and decided to take a look at it. Left the radiator cap off and looked in there no movement in fluid (cold) Then finally, the thermostat let go and it started to just surge up and down and spilling antifreeze onto the pavement. Put my hand on there to try to act as a cap for a second, did that, and let go surged allitle bit out and all of the sudden, the antifreeze just DISAPPEARED, went way down into the radiator to where i couldnt see it. Water pump could have been circulating allitle bit, but not much, thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you have an air pocket in the engine somewhere... what kind of t-stat did you use? FORD make a unit that has a small hole just outside off the main valve.
What I did was I drilled a small hole in the top of the t-stat(NOT THE HOUSING THE T-STAT ITSELF) to allow air to get by when the engine is cold. Run the engine with the cap off untill the T-STAT opens then cap it off. The problem is that air get trapped right before the t-stat and doesnt allow the unit to open. MY 94 had/has this exact problem when ever i would do anything to the coolant system.
Try this and it should fix the air pocket problem as long as nothing else is wrong it should get all of the air out of the system.

Jerry Leaming said:
Sounds like you have an air pocket in the engine somewhere... what kind of t-stat did you use? FORD make a unit that has a small hole just outside off the main valve.
What I did was I drilled a small hole in the top of the t-stat(NOT THE HOUSING THE T-STAT ITSELF) to allow air to get by when the engine is cold. Run the engine with the cap off untill the T-STAT opens then cap it off. The problem is that air get trapped right before the t-stat and doesnt allow the unit to open. MY 94 had/has this exact problem when ever i would do anything to the coolant system.
Try this and it should fix the air pocket problem as long as nothing else is wrong it should get all of the air out of the system.
Ive had the radiator drained and change the thermostat and everything (put in a 194) It has done it even before i did that.

i just burped the system with 2 gallons of water, pretty sure it was a napa 194 degree thermostat jerry, .... also, if it sucked all taht water out all of the sudden, you know when the thermo opens, does that mean the water pump is working?