Cooling System Help

warrenbh

Feb 25, 2010
I'm getting a new radiator installed in my 66 gt 289. lately she has been running real hot and losing fluid; a pressure check revealed a couple small openings.

About a year ago, i took her to a performance shop and they removed her thermostat . . . Was this a good idea??

The fan shroud is torn at the bottom, should I replace? Also, should I upgrade the fan, from 4 blades to 5 or even 6?

Thanks in advance to all.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm getting a new radiator installed in my 66 gt 289. lately she has been running real hot and losing fluid; a pressure check revealed a couple small openings.

About a year ago, i took her to a performance shop and they removed her thermostat . . . Was this a good idea??

The fan shroud is torn at the bottom, should I replace? Also, should I upgrade the fan, from 4 blades to 5 or even 6?

Thanks in advance to all.

Hi,
Where are you at this point? It is never a good idea to remove the T/S permanently! (dumb idea)
Was the rad replaced with a good stock unit? Has the block been flushed? Using a 50/50 coolant mix? A 180 degree T/S is a good start. The shroud should be in good condition a 5 blade fan should be adequate. Also, is the temp gauge is reliable?
A few things to ponder.

the radiator should cure most of your problems, especially since the old one was leaking. replace the thermostat with one that starts to open at around 180 degrees. and replace the shroud if it is damaged. as to the fan, again i agree that a 5 blade fan is adequate for your use, unless you live in death valley.