cooling system problem need help anybody

noslow86

Dec 30, 2003
sandwich il
cant understand wtf the problem is new waterpump/temp sending unit/ new rad /constant volt regulator 16 psi cap for rad/ 195 heavy duty stat. when driving the temp and oil press go up almost to hot but rad cap is cool. could it be engine temp sensor or ect be bad. how about rad cap or the gauge what should i check next lost not sure what to do :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

try this test: pop off the radiator cap (engine cold/ off)......then start the car, let it run till it should be warm, be sure to do this outside. If the antifreeze shoot's out of the radiator, you will need to replace your head gaskets....if it doesn't, then you will need to look else where for a problem........i had the same problem with my 88 and it turned out to be head gaskets...........hotwheels of turborides.com

pop the cap and let the car run till it warms up, if the antifreeze flows freely when the thermostat opens, you probably just need to change the temp sender, but if it pushes out of the radiator, you will need to change your head gasket's and get the head's plained......like i stated earlier, mine did the same thing, i ended up finding my heads were warped .008 which is quite a bit..........just my .02 friend, hotwheels of turborides

couple things. so your oil pressure gauge reads HIGH (not hot)? there is a gauge voltage regulator - one can get strange readings when it is going out. more likely is that you have a bad ground (if more than one gauge is reading high).

i like the above suggestion about using a different (mechanical) gauge - even if only for diagnostics. the stocker is too inaccurate to use, even when it works.

when you said the coolant is not even hot - that confused me. are you sure the stat was open when you checked this? even with a 160* stat, the coolant should be hot in the rad, if the stat has opened.

when the stat opens, one will see coolant flow from the pass side towards the driver side (if lookin down the rad cap oriface. be careful in case it burps, etc).

to answer your question, the gauge sender (which you said you replaced) is the only one the gauge uses. the ECT is what the puter uses to know coolant temps).

good luck.

I am assuming you are saying not that your car is overheating, but that tha oil and temp gauges are reading high? Am I correct? What is your voltmeter running at? Is your fuel gauge running high also? If everything else is running normal, I would probably go with an ineffective ground to the engine block from the car body. Since oil pressure and coolant temp are both fed from the engine itself and the fuel gauge is not, that seems likely. A bad CVR will affect ALL the gauges. Also, make sure your coolant is absolutely full.

i think its the gauge going to the junk yard today to get one . i already changed the cvr could be the stat dont know i will try to ground the sending unit but the only two gauges are oil and temp rest are fine :bs: