Engine Correct MAF For 1993 Cobra X3Z ECU

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure most all the sensors are the same. They are just a Hitachi hot wire sensor (i.e. 2 resistors). The sensor housings & the ECM's are different.
C&L (before he sold out) did a lot of R&D with these.

Right, but the values may be different in order to shrink or extend the range/resolution for the application. We would need to know if they all used the same two value resistors.

Now, you're just trying to bait a rant. :jester:

@General karthief has good results with them. He might be able to help figure it out.
The thing with shopping rockauto is to have the factory part number. Even then they post numbers that the manufacturer gives them that may say their part replaces but in reality does not. Case in point is the fan clutch for the 'dump truck', it is a rare part that was used in 'extreme duty' applications like an ambulance for instance and even though the replacement part compares itself to the factory part number it does not fit, and Ford has discontinued the part.

A dedicated test stand would be great to prove this out. Wouldn't take much to pull it off. A 12v to 5v voltage regulator, some wiring with a digital voltage read out, and a way of providing consistent repeatable airflow.

Taken from one of Mike Wesley's articles: "What Ford does, is select a MAF sensor and inform the EEC about it by calibrating the airflow Vs voltage transfer function with data obtained from a flow bench. Then they determine how much fuel the engine will require under worst-case scenarios, select an injector size, and put that value into the EEC calibration. The MAF sensor and injector size are basically un-related which means a stock 5.0 Mustang's MAF sensor IS NOT calibrated for 19# injectors - the EEC is. Now that the EEC knows what air meter it has and what injectors are being used, it can correctly calculate how much to pulse the injectors to get the desired fuel flow."

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Actually, you're not the first I've heard say that. I guess it makes sense if the Cobra MAF housing is larger in the correct proportion to the injectors being larger than 19s. But like you say, the MAF has nothing to do with the injectors anyway so...

But that would explain why the Cobra sensor is an F1 number. BUT, Cardone's replacement comes with the housing. So, they really shouldn't be telling people that part number will bolt into a '91 Mustang GT and everything will be great. The GT will not be expecting the 70mm housing!

Taken from one of Mike Wesley's articles: "What Ford does, is select a MAF sensor and inform the EEC about it by calibrating the airflow Vs voltage transfer function with data obtained from a flow bench. Then they determine how much fuel the engine will require under worst-case scenarios, select an injector size, and put that value into the EEC calibration. The MAF sensor and injector size are basically un-related which means a stock 5.0 Mustang's MAF sensor IS NOT calibrated for 19# injectors - the EEC is. Now that the EEC knows what air meter it has and what injectors are being used, it can correctly calculate how much to pulse the injectors to get the desired fuel flow."
That confirms what C&L told me. He flow tested housings, calibration tubes & 55mm sensor.

Are there also concerns with running the X3Z with a manual or auto transmission? I'm trying to figure out what will work with my combo and this thread (among others) has been informative. I'm running an A9P right now but need to switch to 24lb'ers and already have a spare F1SF-12B579-AA MAF and 70mm MAF housing. All I'd need would be the X3Z EEC.

I need to call Ron Francis and see if my Telorvek MG-70 harness can be used with the X3Z or not. I don't think it has the same concerns as the factory Ford stuff with burning up a trace in the EEC. The A9P has been great so far in my manual transmission truck, but I'm upgrading components so switching to the 24'lbers makes sense, and I'd like to stick with Ford parts if possible.

The right way to do it is for all the components to match. Manual trans, manual ECU, o2 harness jumper configured for manual setup and manual trans harness with proper NGS plug on top.

yes, The car will run with the AOD ECU but there will sometimes be gremlins like hanging idle, or stalling. Best way to avoid that is a total matching of the above conponents

Reactions: 1 user
The right way to do it is for all the components to match. Manual trans, manual ECU, o2 harness jumper configured for manual setup and manual trans harness with proper NGS plug on top.

yes, The car will run with the AOD ECU but there will sometimes be gremlins like hanging idle, or stalling. Best way to avoid that is a total matching of the above conponents

I don't really have an O2 harness. The Telorvek wiring system runs individual wires from a control panel to each sensor. Nothing is wrapped together like a factory harness. I'm thinking that the Ron Francis Telorvek system doesn't care about auto or manual ecu, but I'll have to call them tomorrow to be sure, before I buy an X3Z ecu.

Thank you for the reply.

So, the vehicle you're wanting to run this in is a manual anyway?

Be careful. The sensors that tell you the car is in neutral work differently between manual and auto. The manual one opens or closes a ground circuit, and the auto opens or closes positive VOLTAGE.

I don't really have an O2 harness. The Telorvek wiring system runs individual wires from a control panel to each sensor. Nothing is wrapped together like a factory harness. I'm thinking that the Ron Francis Telorvek system doesn't care about auto or manual ecu, but I'll have to call them tomorrow to be sure, before I buy an X3Z ecu.

Thank you for the reply.

I believe in that case, it wouldn’t matter. I was assuming OE harnesses. You’ll have to go by what the vendor tells you