Correct Original Heater Hose Routing for 351C 2V W/Climatic Choke

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
My manuals don't seem to be helping much here. I assume it's routed as follows:

Return hose from Right heater core firewall connection to engine block connection.

Feed hose from Water pump connection through climatic choke thermostat heat shield, to heater control valve, to Left heater core firewall connection.

If this is correct, it seems like quite a bit of twisting and turning to get the feed hose from the choke to the heater control valve, then to the heater core.

Should any of these hoses have molded bends in them, or should it all be possible with standard straight hose?

I'd love to see a picture of how it’s supposed to look, but it seems most people don't route the hose next to the climatic choke housing. Or maybe it's pointless as this car won't be driven in the winter.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I found the answers to most of my questions in Tom Monroe's, "How to Rebuild Ford V8 Engines":

"The heater-inlet hose is routed from the intake manifold on the 429/460, or the block on other engines, to the bottom heater-core tube. This means the heater-outlet hose is routed from the top heater-core tube to the water-pump inlet. Route the heater-outlet hose through the automatic-choke clip on models that have one."

The only question I have left is:
Which hose should the vacuum heater control valve be connected to?

Edit: LOL. Just looked at my heater-core and both connections are on the same horizontal plane. I'll assume Left (drivers side) is Top.

OK, I found the answers to most of my questions in Tom Monroe's, "How to Rebuild Ford V8 Engines":

"The heater-inlet hose is routed from the intake manifold on the 429/460, or the block on other engines, to the bottom heater-core tube. This means the heater-outlet hose is routed from the top heater-core tube to the water-pump inlet. Route the heater-outlet hose through the automatic-choke clip on models that have one."

The only question I have left is:
Which hose should the vacuum heater control valve be connected to?

Edit: LOL. Just looked at my heater-core and both connections are on the same horizontal plane. I'll assume Left (drivers side) is Top.

The supply from the intake (the valve should be in this hose) should be supplying coolant to the bottom of the heater core, so that air and debris are constantly flushed out of the core. This is the only diagram I have handy:

th_Hoserouting.jpg