Cortex 1950: Buyer beware!...

This message is going to be posted in some other forums I frequent so the word can be passed.

Almost 2 months ago, I purchased a SuperChips Cortex 1950 from Summit Raciing. I purchased it to use on my '11 Mustang GT and eventually, my '07 Ranger. It is the only hand held tuner that offers use on multiple vehilces and was a selling point. Paid close to $400.00 for it.

Out of the box, it never worked. Got a hold of SC (SuperChips) for a resolution to this problem and started a toubleshooting ticket with them. After all this time, they still have not resolved this issue as they are having problems 'cracking' into the program calibration on my EMU. My car seems to be unique in someway; different than other '11 Gt's.

Tomarrow (28 July '11) they claim I should have a tuning program to download to finally be able to use the Cortex. We'll see as I have had this told to me on another occasion.

I have come to the end of my patience with SC on this issue and will be returning the Cortex for my money back as I do not believe they will have resolution to this problem tomarrow or any other day.

With the 30 day, money back guarantee past by almost a month, I'll probably have to return it directly to them. They will honor the 30 day as they have said they will not start it until I have a tune to upload to my car. It's the only thing that kept me from returning it earlier.

To make a long story even longer, let this be a warning to those of you who would consider buying the Cortex or any other SC hand held tuner. They do not warn you about the posiblity of having a problem with these out of the box as I have had so, buyer beware!

Oh, by the way, I just read on their forum, anothe person who put in a troubleshooting claim 2 months ago with claim number and they have never contacted him with any kind of status or resolution. There are others with simular problems.

If you are thinking of getting one of these tuners, I highly recommend you visit the SC forum and read up on peoples experiences with these things. May save you alot of grief...

• Sponsors (?)

This is an update on my issue with SC:

Today I finally got a program for the Cortex that actually works. After almost 2 months, I was able to load a tune to my car. So far, I'm liking what I see and I like the datalogging features it supplies. :nice:

It will measure some important paraemeters which include timing advance and A/F ratio. It does not have knock sensor parameters however. Being an old dog to this game, I like to have as much info available to measure. It does have other parameters which is cool but, to me, those three things I mentioned are most important to me.

With the problems people are having with the engine that may have something to do with tunes, I would like to keep my car within safe limits so, if I'm able to monitor the setting, there should be no problems.

I still say buyer beware regarding the purchase of one of these as it can take some patience and intestinal fortitude to hang with this purchase. Since I still have a 30 guarantee to return, it lessens the problem some.

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with the product on your 2011 Mustang. We strive to gain all of the calibrations Ford comes out with for each model year but they are numerous and regrettably some sneak past us at the time of release.

If we come across files we have never seen before we work diligently to resolve the issue as quickly as possible so that you can enjoy your investment. I am glad to hear that everything is working properly for you now.

If you have any additional questions about the product or Superchips in general do not hesitate to let me know.

Scott

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with the product on your 2011 Mustang. We strive to gain all of the calibrations Ford comes out with for each model year but they are numerous and regrettably some sneak past us at the time of release.

If we come across files we have never seen before we work diligently to resolve the issue as quickly as possible so that you can enjoy your investment. I am glad to hear that everything is working properly for you now.

If you have any additional questions about the product or Superchips in general do not hesitate to let me know.

Scott

I don't want to be a pain in your side as I know you put out a good product. At the same time, a little truth in advertising goes a long way and I believe a disclaimer should be added here. That being that the purchase of one of these may not provide results upon puchase and that custom tunes provided, IN SOME CASES, may take up to 2 months to calibrate and use. I don't think this is ureasonable. The 30 day return policy remaining intact during this period IS a good thing.

I'm sure that timeline can be shortened as it would not be a great selling feature. But not saying anything will result in a potentially worse outcome.

People need to understand that automobile manufacturer calibrations change all the time and that this may cause a delay in using this product. Not doing so is NOT a good thing.

I thank you for your response.

We do explain that info in the user’s manual under Q&A for your convenience. That being said, I will make a note to forward your complaint to management so that they can determine what needs to be done to provide an easier link to this info for the future.

Thanks for your input!

Scott