Couple questions, how to tell what year motor and WP rotation

302Xr4ti

Mar 15, 2010
Hey all, so I just bought(but haven't picked up yet, will do later this week) a 302 swapped carb'd Merkur Xr4ti. The guy I'm buying it from can't remember which year motor it is he had put it in and was wondering what's the easiest way I can tell the year?

Also, the car has an overheating problem and after doing a search through some posts, I'm thinking the WP may be rotating the wrong direction. It is a serpentine setup, no PS, a/c or anything of that nature, just the basic setup needed to run the motor. Which way is the WP supposed to turn, clockwise or counterclockwise? And if I need to get the WP to rotate in the opposite direction, what can I do about that?

Thanks for the help! I did a search and after reading 25+ posts I still couldn't get a straight answer.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, just had a friend check out the motor and how the pulley setup is ran. He said the PS is in fact hooked up(must be the rack is bad then!), but the belt is just ran in a big circle, no snaking, therefor implying the waterpump is turning the SAME direction as the motor.

This is in fact the wrong direction for the waterpump isn't it and would be the cause of the overheating issue? Thanks for any help!

Jason