Couple things I don't like about my Mustang

bamaster

Jul 30, 2001
Houston, TX
For starters the cup holders. They are in a terrible position. I always keep bottle water in there and my elbow hits the bottle everytime. And the cup holders used to be big enough to hold a large Gatorade bottle, but no more. It's deep but not wide at all. Bad design.

And those coin holder holes in the arm rest. One word... useless.

Just a couple things that have been annoying me lately.

• Sponsors (?)

About the only thing about mine that I dont really care for is the back seat. No room. You cant really use them for anything.
And as for the cup holders, the diameter was reduced because the long neck beer bottles kept rolling around and shaking up the beer. The new deeper narrower cup holders were designed for us red neck southerners. The S197 was our idea, and the 1980's, that was our idea too.

APowers said:
About the only thing about mine that I dont really care for is the back seat. No room. You cant really use them for anything.
And as for the cup holders, the diameter was reduced because the long neck beer bottles kept rolling around and shaking up the beer. The new deeper narrower cup holders were designed for us red neck southerners. The S197 was our idea, and the 1980's, that was our idea too.

:rlaugh: Well spoken AP.

Have you guys located the plastic plate in the cup holder closest to the arm rest that extends the depth another 3 inches? I can't help ya' on your width issues fellas. Well I COULD. I just don't think you want me and an angle grinder anywhere near the center console. :shrug:

Serious addition: DBW - I Soooooooooooooooooooooooo miss my throttle cable. This Drive by Wire is the pits.

~J~

Drive by wire

Jenns05Stang said:
:rlaugh: Well spoken AP.

Have you guys located the plastic plate in the cup holder closest to the arm rest that extends the depth another 3 inches? I can't help ya' on your width issues fellas. Well I COULD. I just don't think you want me and an angle grinder anywhere near the center console. :shrug:

Serious addition: DBW - I Soooooooooooooooooooooooo miss my throttle cable. This Drive by Wire is the pits.

~J~
It takes some getting used to, but when the TCS is switched to off, it is sweet. The fangs come out, and that bursting chirp sound the back tires make going into second at 5k rpm is akin to, (err well) chocolate, Yea thats it chocolate.:flag:

If you have located the plastic depth plate in the cup holder you would know that your long neck with your NASCAR cozy will fit juuuussstt fine in there, no shaking even when she barks out of first.

I am getting used to it. I would like it better if I could get my hands on an X-cal2 and retard the throttle hesitation a bit. It is pretty pronounced with the AOD so I have found that as long as I kick him in the flanks out of the gate he responds like a champ. It is that odd slow roll to a red light that then turns green and I am inbetween 2nd and 1st downshift that it is a real donkey. On the bright side I have noticed that on the freeway when I decide to force DS to haul bottom that it is very helpful in preventing Mr. Redline from making a nasty appearance where I would not want him.

lol....

Now go have your chocolate and make sure you don't get any on the interior. It drys quick and can be picked up by forensics. :eek:

There isn't a TSB but ford did correct the problem by adding dual power seats to the option list. :) I won't have that whine when my car is delivered.

Any other real complaints about the new cars now that most of you have owned it for longer than a year? I am looking forward to the revised rear end suspension as well as the extended wheel base.

Yeah i would say there are a few things about the car that absolutly bug the crap outta me, but the summation of these grievences do not even come close to tallying up to the things i LOVE about the s197's

Couple Bad things- Passenger seat being so low

The seats not being able to push them all the way back you have to use the latch(annoying when you have passengers)

WHen washing the car there seems to be 100000 places where water hides and after washing and going for a drive it drips all down over your nice dry paint(like the back of the trunk, and the grill)

The interior plastic... ughh enough said

The A/c seems to be overkill in that it needs a 1/2 setting because it always is blowing either too hard, or i have turned it off.

The rear Seat... if your over 5'7'' and you want to sit in the back... Im sorry, i feel for ya

I dont know if this is just my personal observation but o well, when driving or pulling up to a curb, (ive had the car for almost 10months now) and i can not for the life of me automatically know where my right side is exactly. With the rounded fenders and me being 5'9'' i just have to go b feel and i just hate the idea of curb rash. After driving SUV's for 6months i guess i got spoiled with regards to that.

NOW THE POSITIVE ASPECTS:
The drivers side overhead light is PERFECT for stickynotes for directions on the dash space provided

The drivers seat is remarkably comfy for just being cloth in my case

The Trunk is absolutly HUge for this size of car, you can fit 2 golf bags in the boot soo easily

I know everyone complains about the blinker sound but i think that is so cool!

The acceloration really cannot be beat by any car for the price, it simply has no rival under 30K

Girls say they hate how loud it is, but secretly they love it and just really want a ride.

The ride height stock is PERFECT, I have never come across a parking stop in a shopping center that the stang's front fascia does not graze easily over without worry of scraping. It may do it jst by a few milimeters but it sure gets over the hump!

THose are jst a few of the things on my mind that i can think of right now.

The GT Preimium Convertible should have included:
-Rear carpeted floor mats
-An engine compartment light
-Pony center caps on the standard wheels
-The upgraded cloth top

Dislikes:
-Throttle lag (easily cured w/an aftermarket flash tuner)
-The crappy looks and placement of the Sirius antenna
-The speed at which the numbers on the odometer are increasing

-The convertible's one touch lowering for all windows
-The way the back tires make that funny little chirping sound when shifting into second & third gear
-The sound of the stock exhaust.
-The drink cups in the present car. They are a vast improvement over the pos that came in my 95-96 which unfolded from the console. That was worthless.

APowers said:
Mustangs were never famous for their back seat room to begin with, even from the very first 64 1/2 model ? they serve only 2 practicle purposes, their fine for children and for cargo space when the rear seat is folded down, other than that their completely useless..As for the cup holders ? I highly doubt that Ford reduced the diameter in order to prevent your long neck beer bottles from rolling around lol.. I could just see the reaction of all those M.A.D.D faces now..:rlaugh:

As mentioned earlier the coin storage "thingy" is retarded. Even though I don't smoke I'd rather have the ashtray to store coins in. I think the arm rests on the doors are too low. They could be a couple inches higher. I feel like I don't have a comfortable place to rest my left arm. The CD player sucks. Not only does it take forever to switch between cd's but it is also loud when changing between disks in my opinion. I also don't care for the steering wheel much. I like the wheel on my '94 much better. It looks cooler and has better places to hold the wheel. On the interior of the doors I wish the handle had a bottom. I'm used to putting my cell phone or some random objects in the cup I have on my '94. Lastly, the interior rearview mirror doesn't have a good range of motion. Depending on how my seat is adjusted the mirror won't move far enough upward.

Like other people I will also say what I like about it. I have a convertible and it is very easy to put the top down. The one-touch windows are great. The audio sounds great with the Shaker 500. The digital information center is handy. The seats are pretty comfy. I like the sound of the mufflers. For being a heavy car it goes when I want it to.

I love the friggin car! it is awesome! Best car I've ever owned and is just enought for the price its more than I expected!
I too really like the chirp noise from the tires, and I also like the looks you get while driving.

Ughh, dont mean to embarass you.

red05bullitgt said:
Mustangs were never famous for their back seat room to begin with, even from the very first 64 1/2 model ? they serve only 2 practicle purposes, their fine for children and for cargo space when the rear seat is folded down, other than that their completely useless..As for the cup holders ? I highly doubt that Ford reduced the diameter in order to prevent your long neck beer bottles from rolling around lol.. I could just see the reaction of all those M.A.D.D faces now..:rlaugh:

The beer holder in the console was changed to my specifactions in the S197. There was extensive reasearch done and measurements taken of Michelobe bottles to acheive this exact holder configuration. The salesman I bought my car from told me so. :nono: