Cracked C4 casing... solution?

pcarlson

Aug 16, 2006
Hi everyone,

So... I have a bit of an issue with my transmission. The casing has a small crack in it near one of the bolts, and that is allowing trans fluid to slowly leak out.

The transmission isn't in the best of shape, but when there is enough fluid (that hasn't leaked out yet) it shifts fine and performs good enough for now. The issue is that because of the crack + leak, it often times is a little low on fluid and shifts roughly because of that.

I've been looking around at the cost for a rebuild and it is around $600-700 for the rebuild itself then you have the removal/install costs bringing it up near $1000. That is a little too much for me to spend right now when the trans FUNCTIONS fine.

Does anyone know of a stop-gap solution that will get rid of the leak and let me use this trans for a little while before replacing/rebuilding?

My idea was something along the lines of JB Weld, but I don't really know if there is a downside to that idea. What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

I JB welded an aluminum extension housing on a 78 F150 NP203 T-case, and it held just fine. It's a cheap insurance to buy you some time for a proper swap or fix. Good luck.