Cracked my thermostat housing

rude_life

Mar 30, 2005
I have a 1995 Mustang GT with no upgrades so far. I was replacing the thermostat today and was not aware of the torque specs for the housing bolts. I heard it pop when cranking the lower bolt down and when I filled the radiator, I noticed the housing had a crack running from the bolt hole up to the hose. It is leaking pretty bad. :notnice: So Napa will have another for me tomorrow morning but what I am concerned about is the other side, what it bolts TO.. the lower intake manifold. I know the thermostat housing is aluminum...is the lower intake also aluminum? What are the chances that I have damaged the manifold as well?
Any thoughts?

Thanks guys as always

• Sponsors (?)

I would say second to none. Were you using a gasket or RTV as a sealant? Should use both with a thin film of RTV on both sides of the gasket. Torque spec is 12-17 lb-ft. Some may not know this about the T-stat installation.

To prevent incorrect installation of the water thermostat, the water hose connection on all engines contains a locking recess into which the water thermostat is turned and locked. Install the water thermostat with the bridge section in the water hose connection. Turn the water thermostat clockwise to lock it in position on the flats cast into the water hose connection. Install the water thermostat in water hose connection and lock water thermostat in place on flats cast into water hose connection.

Position the water thermostat, water hose connection gasket and water hose connection to the intake manifold. Install two retaining bolts and tighten to 16-24 N-m (12-17 lb-ft).

Most will just drop the T-stat into the intake and bolt down the housing. If the T-stat isn't properly seated you may end up cracking the housing as you did.

Ya thats what I did. I dropped it into the recess and mounted it, then cranked it down. I had no idea it locks into place but now I know for the morning! Any chance I may have damaged the t-stat?

The thermostat probably dropped out of the recess and caused the water outlet to crack. Not sure what Napa sells, but Autozone and Advance keep a cast iron one in stock for like $10. Good luck cracking one of those.

Kurt

The stock aluminum housing is weak. I bought a steel one, scuffed it up, sprayed primer then finally painted it black. I don't use a T-stat gasket, just goop up red or black RTV. Highly doubtful you damaged the lower intake. The stock T-housing can barely take 20 foot pounds, I think it'll fail first.