Crackling Issue During Acceleration

Copachewie

Jul 1, 2012
I have stock '95 3.8V6 manual transmission with 168,000 miles.

I read another forum for the same issue on this site, but after listening to that guy's video, mine is making a different crackling. It can best be described as a BB in a tin can (that narrows it down, haha) I'm almost certain it has something to do with the fuel system, but then again, I never went to tech school. I had a similar problem with my old '85 Toyota pickup, which turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. It sounds very similar. The noise happens at just above "normal to medium" pressure on the accelerator. It has no correlation with RPM, and happens at all speeds, in all gears. I can drive it and never hear it at all, like I said, just above a certain amount of pressure pressure on the pedal. The noise is very new, as in three days ago I heard it for the first time. I've ran it out of gas twice in the past month (yes, I'm that broke), and I know it's not good for the car. I change the oil regularly, run the cheapest gas possible (don't say it), and I usually drive it conservatively (usually). Thanks for reading everyone, your input is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

that's possible, but if it were the filter it would have an effect on the motor as well I would think. Has there been any change in power since you've been hearing the noise?

I've been having something similar with my 2000 lately and it turns out it was just an exhaust bracket that rusted out and is rattling around. It could be something like that maybe.

ya probably an exaust issue , get ahold of your exaust when its cold and try shaking it , it shouldnt be able to move at all , if thats not it , it could be that your cats are all broken up inside ,try hiting them with a malet, or maybe you just have a can of BB's under your seat and you dont know it

I have stock '95 3.8V6 manual transmission with 168,000 miles.

I read another forum for the same issue on this site, but after listening to that guy's video, mine is making a different crackling. It can best be described as a BB in a tin can (that narrows it down, haha) I'm almost certain it has something to do with the fuel system, but then again, I never went to tech school. I had a similar problem with my old '85 Toyota pickup, which turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. It sounds very similar. The noise happens at just above "normal to medium" pressure on the accelerator. It has no correlation with RPM, and happens at all speeds, in all gears. I can drive it and never hear it at all, like I said, just above a certain amount of pressure pressure on the pedal. The noise is very new, as in three days ago I heard it for the first time. I've ran it out of gas twice in the past month (yes, I'm that broke), and I know it's not good for the car. I change the oil regularly, run the cheapest gas possible (don't say it), and I usually drive it conservatively (usually). Thanks for reading everyone, your input is appreciated.

check for heat shields againts the cats or resonators or the id plates falling off under the shields. tap quickly on them with a screw driver the vibration noise should stop quickly if thats not the problem.