crank bolt pulley

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
im trying to install my underdrive pullies.. i cant seem to be able to get the crank 18mm bolt off. when i turn it with my breaker bar, it turns the engine and will not loosen the bolt. how can i get this off w/o air tools? i have my car in gear too. help is appreciated, thanks

one other thing, would it matter if the belt was on/off. when i tried taking it off the belt was dissconnected. idk if that matters, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

That bolt is Torque to Yield, you will need a new one do not reinstall it.

I suggest you throw the pullies in the trash and put a nice coat of wax on your paint instead.

Here is a TSB on pully install...
4.6L 4V Pulley Instructions
Some 1996-2001 Mustang owners, for engine performance purposes, are adding a special front drive pulley kit to reduce front accessory drive speeds. When removing and replacing the crank pulley, if the large bolt used to hold the crank pulley undertorqued, the keyway will shear and cause major engine damage. The resulting engine damage is not warrantable. If the crankshaft pulley bolt is removed it should be replaced as it is a torque to yield bolt. The installation of the crankshaft pulley requires that a specific torque operation be adhered to. The crankshaft pulley bolt must be installed using these 4 steps: 1) Torque to 75 lbs/ft 2) Back out one turn 3) torque to 45 lb?ft 4) continue to tighten and additional 90 degrees.

Have to shock it to break it loose, either with a big socket wrench and a hammer, or an impact wrench. Putting the drivebelt back on will help prevent it all from spinning a little, but you'll still need to shock it.

woah dude it is easy....

get a jackstand and place it at the end of your breaker bar beside the hydro pump. crank engine and wellah... loose. there isn't room for my impact, so i do it that way. you WILL need to torque it correctly though. i jam a wooden hammer between the pulleys to torque.

billfisher said:
woah dude it is easy....

get a jackstand and place it at the end of your breaker bar beside the hydro pump. crank engine and wellah... loose. there isn't room for my impact, so i do it that way. you WILL need to torque it correctly though. i jam a wooden hammer between the pulleys to torque.
I know you are a highly skilled mechanic but that technique seems extremely unsafe to me...

What if:
-the engine fires up?
-the starter burns out from excessive load?
-a tooth cracks off the flywheel gear?
-the breaker bar pops off the crank bolt and damages nearby components?
-all of the above happen

96BlueStangGT said:
Put the car in 5th gear.

:stupid: Oh, and never ever use and impact wrench on your crank shaft... The risk of stripping out the threads (not to mention majorly jacking stuff up inside) isn't worth it :nonono: Once you break it free it should be fine, try extending the handle of your breaker bar (if its not already the long kind) by slipping a pipe over it - should make things easier.

TTY bolt? I must question that call.
It is a standard 10.8 hardness 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch bolt.
As far as removing it put it in 1st gear firmly apply the e brake and chock the wheels. Just keep turning the breaker bar until it lets go. Sometimes it is helpful to strike the bar with a hammer to get the bolt to release to

Kilgore Trout said:
That bolt is Torque to Yield, you will need a new one do not reinstall it.

I suggest you throw the pullies in the trash and put a nice coat of wax on your paint instead.

Here is a TSB on pully install...
4.6L 4V Pulley Instructions
Some 1996-2001 Mustang owners, for engine performance purposes, are adding a special front drive pulley kit to reduce front accessory drive speeds. When removing and replacing the crank pulley, if the large bolt used to hold the crank pulley undertorqued, the keyway will shear and cause major engine damage. The resulting engine damage is not warrantable. If the crankshaft pulley bolt is removed it should be replaced as it is a torque to yield bolt. The installation of the crankshaft pulley requires that a specific torque operation be adhered to. The crankshaft pulley bolt must be installed using these 4 steps: 1) Torque to 75 lbs/ft 2) Back out one turn 3) torque to 45 lb?ft 4) continue to tighten and additional 90 degrees.

SSM not TSB. i believe the message is for aftermarket crank pulley and your servicing the crank pulley/ dampener. otherwise reuse the stock oem crank bolt.

you're right it ain't safe... it's kinda jack leg if i say so.

the proper way is to make a tool. i'm just too lazy. let me describe thre tool.

1. buy a 2" dia. pipe 3' in length.
2. buy 1 3" washer with a 3/8" hole.
3. buy a 3/8" x 6" long hook bolt (you get it from a shackle.)
4. buy a 6' 6" chain making sure the inside dimension is greater than 3/8" for hook.
5. hook the ends of the chain to the hook and let the looped end into the pipe where it will make a lasso.
6. placed loop around the crank pulley.
7. put the washer and nut on the end of the hook bolt.
8. tighten the nut until it holds the crank still.
9. remove the crank bolt.

sorry i didn't get more in detail. that tool will work for all crank pullies. 4 cyl car will just slip the clutch on some models, making the 1st gear thing useless.