Crank Position Sensor Looks Like This?!

Sn95bythebay

Sep 1, 2016
After pulling my crank position sensor this is what it looked Like. What would cause this?

Attachments

• 20161004_124532_1475599534270.jpg
    20161004_124532_1475599534270.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Sponsors (?)

How about either:
  • The CKP hold down bolt is loose/missing allowing the CKP to move inside the block and contact the timing chain.
  • The crank shaft timing chain sprocket has been installed incorrectly such that it's not in the correct plane. IE, further out than it should be.
  • The timing chain is so loose that it's slapping around and contacting the CKP sensor.

Last edited:
How about either:
  • The CKP hold down bolt is loose/missing allowing the CKP to move inside the block and contact the timing chain.
  • The timing chain is so loose that it's slapping around and contacting the CKP sensor.
Would you be able to hear the chain if it is loose? And if the chain snapped would it still crank?

You would here some noise on a loose chain. If it has snapped you would know it. I would say start with a new sensor, ensure it's installed tight and go from there. That's a lot of slop in a chain to cause that but possible.

Would you be able to hear the chain if it is loose? And if the chain snapped would it still crank?
I wouldn't count on being able the hear it. The plastic CKP sensor is soft and easily worn away.

If the timing chain broke it might still crank. I doubt it would start. However it likely would not have the usual "chug chug" sound of the pistons being compressed. If the timing chain has let go, EXPECT valve damage.

I wouldn't count on being able the hear it. The plastic CKP sensor is soft and easily worn away.

If the timing chain broke it might still crank. I doubt it would start. However it likely would not have the usual "chug chug" sound of the pistons being compressed. If the timing chain has let go, EXPECT valve damage.
Is there an easy way to check if your chain is snapped

How does it sound while cranking?

Take the CAM sensor out and look through the hole while cranking. Can you see the cam turn? However this want help if the right hand side is the side with the problem.

Take the valve covers off and look.

Pull a spark plug and feel for escaping air while cranking.

Perform a compression test.

What about all of the other tests and information that I put into your other thread? Have you CONFIRMED key on +12 to the COP's?

I'm assuming you have a 4.6 96 or newer? If you broke a timing chain your motor would crank but sound like it's free wheeling, with no compression like wm burns said. If your chain is really stretched you could hear noises coming from cover where it's slapping. First thing you gotta do is figure if motor is sound, did it run with old crank sensor? Spray a shot of starting fluid into intake. If it's fuel related it will start for a second or two. After that you need to know if your getting spark. If you have a coil you pulled off connect a loose spark plug and see if your getting spark.leg us know what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk