crank pulley bolts

grippper

Mar 4, 2003
i installed a professional products balancer with a spacer and now the bolts that hold the pulley on are to short.where can i get some bolts. does adding longer bolts make the balancer off.the stock bolts also have a weird kind of head on them.

• Sponsors (?)

grippper said:
bump. im stuck at this point. untill i find out if longer bolts will throw off the balancer, or can i just go to the hardwarestore and get longer ones.
Longer blots will not throw off the balancer. You can use header bolts if you have some laying around. The small head makes them ideal for any pulley size.

I wasn't going to throw my 2 cents in because I couldn't remember how the numbers worked for bolt hardness. i think it's important though so I'll just say this... Make sure you use hardened bolts. You don't want common hardware stuffed into holes used to hold your balancer on.

(If I'm remembering it correctly you need bolts that have a hardness of 10 or 12. But like I said I'm not sure I remember it correctly. Just ensure you used hardened bolts.)

I just used normal bolts fomr Home Depot on mine since I couldn't find the stock bolts when i put my stock pulley back in.

I still have all my accessories, and they all work including a/c. I also have a supercharger. I've no problems with the bolts at all....

Daggar said:
You don't want common hardware stuffed into holes used to hold your balancer on.

while very good advice, remember the balancer is held on with one bolt (crank bolt). the 4 little bolts only secure the pulley to the balancer. while important, i personally dont feel it is as important as the crank bolt (IIRC the torque spec on the pulley bolts is not much, giving an indication of what kind of clamping force is required of the fastener).

a lot of guys use home store allen head bolts for U/D pulleys, and they seem to be alright. looks like Chris took the same approach and he knows a thing or two about wrenching. :)

HISSIN50 said:
a lot of guys use home store allen head bolts for U/D pulleys, and they seem to be alright. looks like Chris took the same approach and he knows a thing or two about wrenching. :)

You're right Hiss... again I misread and had "balancer" in mind and not pulley.

Daggar said:
You're right Hiss... again I misread and had "balancer" in mind and not pulley.
i figured as much - you've got good stuff to say. dont feel bad - i tend to read the original posts before opening the window (hold the cursor over the thread). the other day i opened 2 carb question threads at the same sitting. i did not re-read the first thread and posted the most horrible, incorrect answer you could imagine (it would have been a good answer for the 'other' carb thread). made me feel like a dummy. Michael overlooked my response and was nice enough not to call me on a horrible post. i did figure it out and explain.
point being, happens to all of us. :)

PS, Daggar, i just re-read what i posted above, and i think it could be taken the wrong way. when i said that Chris knows what is up, it was in no way saying you dont (i was not sure if you took it that way - i never even realized it read like that till now). but Chris does have a sweet car with severe mods, and i trust what he says - that was my point. it was in no way directed at you. sorry about that :)

HISSIN50 said:
PS, Daggar, i just re-read what i posted above, and i think it could be taken the wrong way. when i said that Chris knows what is up, it was in no way saying you dont (i was not sure if you took it that way - i never even realized it read like that till now). but Chris does have a sweet car with severe mods, and i trust what he says - that was my point. it was in no way directed at you. sorry about that :)

Nah, I didn't take it that way. I try to read between the lines in forums because so much can be mistaken in this kind of environment. Your reply did make me go back and re-read though. For me, that's what it's all about. There are things that I 'know' to be correct and just as often there are things that I have misconceptions about. Reading peoples replies helps to get things straight. I know that there are a great many folks that know a lot more about many things that I do. That's why I'm here. :)

I didn't see any grade 8 bolts when I was shopping for them. I also needed longer bolts since my Vortech pulley mounts inside the stock one. I figured how much force is put on that pulley? Bolts are pretty strong alone, but x4, that would require a tremendous amount of force to spin the pulley off the balancer and snapping the bolts, don't you think..... thats just my opinion. Get at least grade 8 bolts if you want to be positively safe.....

Hissin, I'm a little flattered. :p :) Thanks