Electrical Cranks but no spark

evensteven

May 14, 2009
Hi- This is Steve, I haven't been on in a while but I'm in need of help. I've got an 89 5.0 EFI engine in my 65 coupe. Its been on the road with this set up for 4 years and I've got almost 10k miles logged. Recently I've run into an issue where the car will crank but not start. There is NO spark at the coil. The coil wires show 12 volts in the run position. All the ground are cleaned and secure. I've replaced the TFI module, the PIP and the coil. The coil will show spark if the Spout connector is removed. But it will not run. There is also 12 volts at the injectors and I can hear the relay for the fuel pump turning on. I've confirmed that I have fuel. Just no spark. Any thoughts? I've gone through the crank but won't start checklist and I'm stumped.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

After all the checklist items I decided to try another ECU. My cousin brought his over and we plugged it in. The car fired right off and idled for several minutes before I turned it off. I put my computer back in, and it would not start. Guess its time to replace the ECU.
Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I've got an 86 svo and have the same issue, drove up the road and it just died, pushed it home and have no spark but power to the coil. Wiring confuses me with cars so i don't know if the fuse links are bad or TFI, I was looking at the fuse links and attached to them was a large white plug and 2 other small white plugs that were not being used, anyone know what they are for? also how would I replace a fuse link? cut and add a regular fuse? ( im not sure if the photos will send but one of the fuse links with 4 black wires is kind of round and the rest are square, don't know if that's a bad one or not)

Hi I've got an 86 svo and have the same issue, drove up the road and it just died, pushed it home and have no spark but power to the coil. Wiring confuses me with cars so i don't know if the fuse links are bad or TFI, I was looking at the fuse links and attached to them was a large white plug and 2 other small white plugs that were not being used, anyone know what they are for? also how would I replace a fuse link? cut and add a regular fuse? ( im not sure if the photos will send but one of the fuse links with 4 black wires is kind of round and the rest are square, don't know if that's a bad one or not)
A V8 car is almost totally different than the turbo 4 cylinder cars.