Crate engine suggestions or build engine suggestions

Yeah, I guess.

How enjoyable is paying 1000.00 for something that you could've done yourself?
If somebody is too " busy" to learn about the car they covet...they need to realize that they'd enjoy a higher monthly payment on the new car they don't have to pay somebody to fix.
Why do you care if he wants to spend HIS money on it?
Nevermind. What I was going say means little.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

seems none of the mail order engine builders have stellar reviews.

Theme I see is buy a kit and DIY it find a reputable engine builder. I might have to go that route. Problem is I need to tear my engine out first and disassemble it. I was trying to minimize downtime
Have you looked at www.fordstrokers.com? A buddy of mine got a 427W shortblock from them a few years back. He never had any issues with how it was built. He just didn't properly match the top end parts to get the results he was expecting. Now he's in the process of going overboard....but the shortblock is still together.

Reactions: 1 users
seems none of the mail order engine builders have stellar reviews.

Theme I see is buy a kit and DIY it find a reputable engine builder. I might have to go that route. Problem is I need to tear my engine out first and disassemble it. I was trying to minimize downtime

My 347 is a FordStokers.com engine. So far so good, all 32 miles Ive put on it, lol.

Il check them out but seems cheapest assembled short block starts at $5k before options.
If it was me, I'd source a block and buy a kit.
When you consider that you are buying an engine that got built assembly line style, only with some guy(s) knocking in pistons with no regard for much more than how many more they gotta do, I doubt that the quality of the build is ever that high.
Seems to me if you can find some bodies bare block, or donor engine for cheap as a foundation, the machine bill won't be any more than you want it to be..
"Square decking? Align honed? Balanced? Blueprinted? How would you ever know any of that crap was ever done if you didn't either pay a guy to do it directly, or do it yourself? ( the only thing you could do yourself is the blueprint part, and I seriously doubt any of those mid line engine builders do any of it.)
The piston gets an ots .030 ring set that isn't checked, the rods get a .010 bearing set that isn't checked, and the mains get a .010 set that gets equally thrown in.

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd source a block and buy a kit.
When you consider that you are buying an engine that got built assembly line style, only with some guy(s) knocking in pistons with no regard for much more than how many more they gotta do, I doubt that the quality of the build is ever that high.
Seems to me if you can find some bodies bare block, or donor engine for cheap as a foundation, the machine bill won't be any more than you want it to be..
"Square decking? Align honed? Balanced? Blueprinted? How would you ever know any of that crap was ever done if you didn't either pay a guy to do it directly, or do it yourself? ( the only thing you could do yourself is the blueprint part, and I seriously doubt any of those mid line engine builders do any of it.)
The piston gets an ots .030 ring set that isn't checked, the rods get a .010 bearing set that isn't checked, and the mains get a .010 set that gets equally thrown in.

I have a multi page hand written and hand signed build sheet for the engine I bought. Doesnt seem assembly line style. Plus the PO of the engine sent them his own heads, and they assembled it all noting pushrod length, ring gaps, bearing tolerences, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a multi page hand written and hand signed build sheet for the engine I bought. Doesnt seem assembly line style. Plus the PO of the engine sent them his own heads, and they assembled it all noting pushrod length, ring gaps, bearing tolerences, etc.

They are top notch and nothing like the standard assembly line style. Search corral.net plenty of high dollar builds over many years and zero negative feedback

Woody stopped using stock blocks about a year ago as they kept splitting due to the power levels of the engines he builds. Like Jeff said, he only uses Dart blocks. His work is top notch but expect it to take a few months.

Other good sources are Mark O'neal- formerly of CHP, Ed Curtis @fFTI, and Tim Eichorn at MPR Racing here in Boynton Beach Florida.

I'd rather rebuild your own motor than spend the money on a Ford crate motor. You can build a better engine for the same price.

If you want a budget build, get a junkyard 93-97 Explorer or Mountaineer motor.