Crown Vic rear disks, a new idea

Decurion

Sep 28, 2006
Livonia, MI
I think by now most people know about the 92-96 Crown Vic rear disk swap, but how about the newer style (dont know year range)? Will they work as well? The reason I ask is I was at my local U-pick yard today and yesterday and there was a 2003 Police Interceptor turned Taxi turned civilian turned junker, and to my surprise, the rear disks were not only ventilated, but cross drilled and slotted! The rotors were obviously not stock, but stock ones would still have been ventilated versus the older solid disks. The 03 car also had a parallel 4-link suspension with a boss cast into the top of the differential for the Watts link, versus the older style angled 4-link. The brakes looked basically identical, except for the fact that now both calipers sit on front of the axle, with a left and right side. The older ones just used the same bracket on both sides, or at least the same caliper, passenger side caliper in front, drivers side in back of the axle. Im really thinking about going back in the next couple days to grab the caliper brackets, but with a posi it may (or may not) be hard to get the axle C-clip out. So if they wont work, or will take significant modifications to make it work, I wont bother.

Also, just as food for thought, the new center section has a big boss cast into the top of it for the Watts-link it now uses. So for the budget corner carvers among us, it may be a good axle to get- brakes, posi, and all, then just narrow it to fit and add required brackets.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a post on the subject with pics.
Steve, aka Ultrastang... aka Mustang Steve... was in on it.
The thing with those was that Ford put the axle retainers on a vertical plane, instead of horizontal like previous years (and like our cars).

So if you bolted a set of these up, the calipers would be either at 12 or 6 o'clock, instead of 3 or 9 o'clock like the earlier Vic brakes.

We discussed the fact that one could remove their axle tube ends and reorient them vertically.:shrug:
Just seemed like alot of trouble to go through.

i think on the 03-up vics, they rotated the axle mounting flanges 90 degrees, so they are now in a vertical orientation, that's not to say they won't work but they won't be a direct bolt in like the older ones. i believe they also require a 16" or bigger wheel but i'm not real certain on that and i may be confusing that with something else so don't take that as gospel. i think it would great if they would work and i'd be all over a set for my cougar project.

i want to add though, that there are aftermarket vented rotors available for the earlier vic discs you just have to do a little searching for them. a good place to get some info on them would be one of the panther chassis forums like this

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

also, Ultrastang had a thread on the vic discs a while back it'd be worth taking a look at that one too.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=717933&highlight=crown+vic

ya know, i think that possibly re-drilling the mounting flange on the brake backing plate/caliper mounting bracket for the small 9 inch pattern would probably be the easiest way to make these work, assuming it's even possible. i haven't seen these brakes in person yet so i don't know if it's even possible but if so that would be sweet.

i wonder what setup the guys at vintage venom are using. theirs are different than the normal vic discs. they mount right to the small flange 9" and have the calipers oriented normally instead of flip flopped AND they have vented rotors. i'm kinda wondering if they aren't redrilling an exlporer brake kit and adding the vented rotors. whatever they're using it has to be from a stock application or they couldn't sell them for 400 bucks. oh yeah, they're brand new kits as well and not rebuild like most of the vic brake kits are.

anyone got any ideas what they could be from?

"ya know, i think that possibly re-drilling the mounting flange on the brake backing plate/caliper mounting bracket for the small 9 inch pattern would probably be the easiest way to make these work, assuming it's even possible. i haven't seen these brakes in person yet so i don't know if it's even possible but if so that would be sweet...."

Yeah, that was the same thing I had said;
"....I'm not sure if there's enough material/area in the factory '03+ C-V's anchor bracket to do this, but if the bolt pattern could be re-drilled on the casting, then you would be able to directly bolt it up like the earlier '92-'02 C-V versions."

My mom probably wouldn't have appreciated me tearing her '05 Grand Marquis apart to see if it could be done, --when I was checking out the rear discs setup on her '05. :D

So it would seem that the only real advantage with the newer setup would be the ventilated rotors, but someone else already took care of that. So I guess the next advantage would be having hideously expensive calipers. :notnice: Well, autozone lists them at about $100 each, and thats with a core. Not hideously expensive I guess, but certainly more than the $60 a pair the older ones go for. Looks like Ill just sell the bling rotors I got along with the HD steel piston calipers/lines. Thanks guys! :nice:

Yeah, that was the same thing I had said;

My mom probably wouldn't have appreciated me tearing her '05 Grand Marquis apart to see if it could be done, --when I was checking out the rear discs setup on her '05. :D

yeah but i thought it warranted inclusion in this thread as well.

you really think mom would be mad if you pulled off a caliper and the rotor to see what it looked like inside? my mom probably wouldn't mind if she had one. ah well, i guess everyone's mom is different, hell my best friends mom probably wouldn't even let him pull a wheel off the car to look and he and his dad are both mechanics....go figure.