cruise control and horn, very confused

deftsound

Please ask me how much my supercharger cost
Apr 6, 2004
Texas City TX
ok i know ive asked this before so bear with me,

after installing new intake manifold gaskets, i noticed a couple days later my cruise control and horn quit working, not sure if its related or what but im confused as hell, ive checked every damn vacuum line and everything is hooked up fine. What could be wrong? Ive heard that there is a relay or something that controls this but i couldnt find it, can anyone post a pic or give me a good description of where it is. I gotta have cruise back :(

• Sponsors (?)

deftsound said:
yea i tryed that, i had heard there was a relay or something that controlled the two togethor or something, in either case i dont know why they dotn work
welll take a test light to you horn and have someone press it see if it is geting hot....do you know how a horn works????? when you press the horn it makes a ground pretty simple.....

Unless Ford changed the wiring from 87-89 and the 90's the horn and cruise are both off of fuse 16. Have you tried changing out the horn relay. Might be a two-tone brown relay under the dash around the gas pedal. It's mounted right next to another relay.

this sounds dumb but what exacly does a relay look like? Ive seen a brown looking small plastic box looking thing under the dash is this it? Also would that effect both horn and cruise? Ive heard replacing the clock spring is a real bitch btw, what exactly is involved in this?

deftsound said:
this sounds dumb but what exacly does a relay look like? Ive seen a brown looking small plastic box looking thing under the dash is this it? Also would that effect both horn and cruise? Ive heard replacing the clock spring is a real bitch btw, what exactly is involved in this?

If you're looking under the dash where your right shin usually is and you see a brown looking box that's probably it. I wish I had a camera with me, but I took a peek and it's the only brown box under there. It is probably mounted right next to a black box of the same size. It's pretty easy to drop that whole assembly. I think there are only one or two screws that hold it up. The relay is about 1" square and 2" long. The number on mine is E5EB-13853-A3A.

It is possible that it could be a slip ring problem behind the steering wheel, but in my electronics experience slip rings don't often go bad and are always a PITA no matter what you are working on. Hopefully we can nab this problem with the easier stuff, but if the relay isn't the problem things could get ugly.

Saleen0679 said:
If you're looking under the dash where your right shin usually is and you see a brown looking box that's probably it. I wish I had a camera with me, but I took a peek and it's the only brown box under there. It is probably mounted right next to a black box of the same size. It's pretty easy to drop that whole assembly. I think there are only one or two screws that hold it up. The relay is about 1" square and 2" long. The number on mine is E5EB-13853-A3A.

It is possible that it could be a slip ring problem behind the steering wheel, but in my electronics experience slip rings don't often go bad and are always a PITA no matter what you are working on. Hopefully we can nab this problem with the easier stuff, but if the relay isn't the problem things could get ugly.

Try this if it attaches properly...

Attachments

• spd cont amp - locate.GIF
    spd cont amp - locate.GIF
    72.5 KB · Views: 866
Hate to say this but you'll have to get a wiring diag. It's best to get a Factory Ford manual for your year. Then you know for sure whats up. My cruise is bad and everything links to the Speed control amplifier using the diagnostics from Ford service manual.

On the brake pedal there is a vacuum break that most of the times gets out of adjustment. Check that.