Crusty battery cable

• Sponsors (?)

i have the same issue, best way iv gotten rid of the crust at least on the terminal for the battery and the lead for the cable was to use a wire brush or if you happen to have one a pipe cleaning tool, my dads a plumber and they work perfectly for cleaning the terminal here's the amazon link, they work really good and have saved my ass a couple times.. it might even make it look pretty again. the issue with my car tho is my terminal is cracked and leaks acid all over the stuff and creates a film over the contacts so they don't make a connection the white crust you see may be battery acid. after a while it turn the terminal black at least in my case thats what happend, may want to consider replacing the battery or atleast checking if its cracked near the terminal. it may be because you pushed on the terminal lead, hit it with somthin or maby its just its time. im pretty sure i hit mine with a wrench and busted it

Reactions: 1 user
There's a few reasons for why it forms.

Leakage of the contents of the battery causing a reaction at the terminal
A reaction between the terminal and the clamps
overcharging

A teaspoon of baking soda to a couple cups of water, you want to neutralize the acid, wash the area down with lots of water after including the battery tray, any metal underneath and the floor/driveway, battery acid is, for the most part, forever and that's what you are seeing with the white/yellow crusty stuff.

The old guys used to slather the exterior of their battery terminals with whatever bearing grease was in the shop. This kept corrosion from developing, but it was messy, due to over application. A more contemporary solution is to put a thin layer of dielectric grease on the exterior surfaces of your battery terminals. This will keep the corrosion from possibly forming and is much cleaner in appearance, as it is nearly invisible with measured application.

The old guys used to slather the exterior of their battery terminals with whatever bearing grease was in the shop. This kept corrosion from developing, but it was messy, due to over application. A more contemporary solution is to put a thin layer of dielectric grease on the exterior surfaces of your battery terminals. This will keep the corrosion from possibly forming and is much cleaner in appearance, as it is nearly invisible with measured application.
Whats an old guy?

You need battery terminal protector spray or gel. Grease can prevent the gasses from reaching the metal terminal, but this lasts longer and conducts better. (It’s a red or purple spray depending on the brand.)

CRC also makes a terminal cleaner that’s much less messy that the otherwise effective baking soda and water mix.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
You need battery terminal protector spray or gel. Grease can prevent the gasses from reaching the metal terminal, but this lasts longer and conducts better. (It’s a red or purple spray depending on the brand.)

CRC also makes a terminal cleaner that’s much less messy that the otherwise effective baking soda and water mix.
The baking soda method is cheaper, easy to use, readily available and gets into those places the spray cannot, oh and doesn't stain that good shirt you forgot you put on and is environmentally safe (the mice in California will thank you :jester: )I
Not saying the spray doesn't work, it is very effective.

• Agree
The baking soda method is cheaper, easy to use, readily available and gets into those places the spray cannot, oh and doesn't stain that good shirt you forgot you put on and is environmentally safe (the mice in California will thank you :jester: )I
Not saying the spray doesn't work, it is very effective.
I’d still use baking soda on serious cases of Battery Cauliflower. (Since using the protecting spray, I have not had a bad case in years.) Dipping the terminal into a red solo cup of the baking soda and water mix is thorough.

The CRC terminal cleaner foam really does work well, it does not take a hose after to clean up the mess, and best of all, it turns pretty colors when it neutralizes the acid. The color change alone is worth giving some CA mice cancer. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Baking soda as mentioned, then a battery terminal brush to clean the Male and female ends, then vaseline on the battery terminals to keep them from corroding. I clean my battery terminals and cables every year as part of my annual maintenance and have never had an issue with terminal/cable connector corrosion.

My Mustang used to have a terrible case of this, I scrubbed with baking soda, used the felt washers, replaced the battery cables but it would always return aggressively. Once I switched to an AGM Battery the problem went away completely and never returned at all.

My Mustang used to have a terrible case of this, I scrubbed with baking soda, used the felt washers, replaced the battery as thcables but it would always return aggressively. Once I switched to an AGM Battery the problem went away completely and never returned at all.acid
As the good AGM batteries are supposed to be able to be upside down without spilling, I suspect they are sealed, or darn close to it. The hydrogen sulfide and hydrochloric acid vented by regular batteries is bad news to metal and organic mater. If your charging system was doing it’s job too well, it would be letting off even more gasses.

It still would be a good idea to use the terminal spray next time you service it. I’ve also not seen much benefit from the felt treated washers.

As the good AGM batteries are supposed to be able to be upside down without spilling, I suspect they are sealed, or darn close to it. The hydrogen sulfide and hydrochloric acid vented by regular batteries is bad news to metal and organic mater. If your charging system was doing it’s job too well, it would be letting off even more gasses.

It still would be a good idea to use the terminal spray next time you service it. I’ve also not seen much benefit from the felt treated washers.
Well, my Odyssey Battery lasted 11 years without a spot of corrosion which was freaking awesome, replaced it a couple years ago with another brand AGM and its been GTG so far too.

• Hell Yeah!