Current Mods - Where to go from here?

90GTFIVO

Apr 28, 2011
Carroll, OH
I bought a 93 GT hatch with the listed mods already on it. Now I'm looking for suggestions as to what I need to do to reach 325-350 HP. Not interested in nitrous.

Current Mods:
Underdrive pulleys
In-fender air filter
75mm throttle body
75mm MAF
MSD ignition
A/C and smog delete (although I'd like to put A/C back on it)
Might have a different cam, but not 100% sure. Car has a rough idle.

Planned Near-Term Mods:
3:73 gears
King Cobra clutch and aluminum flywheel

Interested in what I can gain by machining/porting/modifying current components like intake and heads and/or whether I need to buy new/used ones. Also, if there's anything you would change or do prior to more engine mods, any help is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

First off, lose the 75mm throttle body. It is doing absolutely nothing for you and, in fact, is probably hurting your performance to some degree. Sell it and get yourself a 65mm unit. Then, look up member "Tmoss" and send him a message about getting your lower intake ported. He is the porting grand master and can make your stock intake flow better than a Cobra/GT40. He will match the ports to whatever heads you have or plan on getting.

Also, unless you like to walk, ditch the MSD stuff. Again, it is doing nothing for you. The stock stuff is good to 400+ horsepower and you're probably just breaking the 200 mark. MSD is rather notorious for intermittantly and unexplainably not working.

I'm sure it's obvious that I'm fairly green under the hood. So there may be stupid quesitons from time to time.

If I switch to a 65mm TB, do I need to also go with a 65mm MAF?

I've been noticing a lot of posts about Trickflow aluminum heads. Are these the ones to go with? I originally was looking at the Ford Racing GT40's. Also, would porting(?) the stock heads gain me anything or would it not be enough to get me to my goal (325-350 HP)?

As for the intake, does TMoss port the upper and lower where I would not have to buy new ones?

If I find out I have the stock cam, will that get me to my goal?

Sorry for the long list of questions!

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this subject, here is mine...Ill answer your questions then give you my $.02

1. Ideally you want the MAF slightly larger then the TB
2. The Ford Racing heads are not the best choice for the money, there are other aftermarket heads will out perform them all day long.
3. Tom can port the lower or both the upper and lower
4. Can the stock cam get you to your goal, yes but it is not easy refer to the NMRA Factory Stock class.

For me personally it makes no sense at all to put any money in the stock heads and intake unless you want to use those components long term. If you have ambitions of more power down the road swap them out for new aftermarket components. However if you want to use the stock intake Tom does excellent work...

Right now the 75mm has a large step since a stock manifold can not truly be opened to 75mm, however it is not killing the combo as much as a lot of people will think. I did a lot of testing years ago with a 65mm vs a 75mm on my 8.8:1 compression 302, a Heads/cam/intake car that went 11.7 @ 117mph, it will not hurt you long term however it is a little rediculos on a stock intake.

Id go Holley SysteMAX intake, Trick Flow 170cc heads or AFR 165, aftermarket cam and you will be in the 350hp+ range. The Trickflow engine package is also a good choice, it is hard to beat for the money...

Thanks for your input Rick.

I mentioned the car might have an aftermarket cam. Is there any identifiers that I could look for when I pull it out of the engine?

I like the Trickflow top end engine kit idea, for like you said the price, but if I already have an aftermarket cam, I may not need to buy the complete set.

So you recommend keeping the 75mm TB and find an intake that can handle it? If I stay with 75mm TB, do I need to go bigger than my 75mm MAF?

I also advised to go with aftermarket heads/intake/cam. Better long term use of the money. I do have a stock on the outside HO intake that flows 230cfm with excellent balance though - took me 60 hours to get it there. Runners are shortened internally and the cross section increased throughout.

This is what I have done in the last 4 months and it is a work in progress, Some people mite not like some things, like FMS (witch is coming off) someone in a forum some where said you need this and well I got it... Do your research and don't always listen to us... I am a newbe at Ford and am learning the hard way. :D ..

Forged lower, F303 Roller cam 288° DURATION 512 lift, Roller rockers
GT40P heads , Ford Racing 36 Lbs. Injectors
Trick Flow upper and lower intake
70mm Throttle body, 76mm Mass Air # 103 sensor
Supercharger making 9 psi, 6 inch lower and 2.90 upper pulleys
Fuel Management system
A9s computer
World Class T5 Trans with new Dual RAM clutch
Aluminum drive shaft
Short throw shifter
255lph BBK fuel pump
Ford racing shorty headers, X pipe and flow masters
Front line locks
Suspension Modifications: New Tubular K member , control arms and coil over struts.
New rear control arms with double adjustable uppers
8.8 rear with new 4.10's , Moser Engineering Axels 31 Spline