Custom Cluster Options (help, Need Opinions!)

Jun 10, 2014
Hi guys! My cluster is pretty much completely broken. Nothing works except the water temp gauge.
So I am going to throw away some money on a new cluster with Autometer gauges. I have decided I want a D-PIC for no other reason than it would be sweet to be able to measure reaction times, 0-60, lateral g etc on the fly.
As well as fixing my cluster issues, it will complete my interior Resto-mod project. However I'm having difficulty deciding on how exactly I want to do it, so there are a few options, and I'm looking for opinions on how you would do it.
All of these would be in a black cluster housing to match the rest of my interior.

Option #1: cluster housing with (2) 3 3/8" holes (for tach & speedo) & (4) 2 1/16" holes (for fuel level, water temp, voltmeter & D-PIC) & vent gauge pod for oil temp & oil pressure.
Things I like about it: clean install, vent gauge pod is reversible if I ever want to go back to stock
Things I don't like: vent gauge pod looks sort of awkward to me, at least in pictures.

Option #2: same as #1, but with pillar pod for oil temp & oil pressure instead of vent gauge pod.
Things I like about it: intuitive positioning
Things I don't like: not entirely sold on the pillar gauge pod

Option #3: cluster housing with (1) 3 3/8" hole (for digital tach/speedo) and (3) 2 1/16" holes on each side (for oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, voltmeter, fuel level & D-PIC)
Things I like about it: everything in one place, cleanest install
Things I don't like: digital tach is hard to read (I wish autometer made an analog tach w/ a digital speed reading built in /rant) cluster looks a little clumsy

Option #4 same as option 3, except analog speedo in cluster, with a 3 3/4" tach mounted outside the cluster.
Things I like about it: looks nice, seems to be the most intuitive option.
Things I don't like: clumsy looking cluster, tach requires drilling in the dash.

Ok opinions? Have fun

• Sponsors (?)

These are the two cluster options so you can all get a better idea of what I'm considering

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 169
You may want to check out the motorcycle aftermarket for a small combo tach/ digital speedo setup. Nearly every motorcycle built now has something like that. Your challenge with that may be the wiring and finding matching gauges for the rest of the cluster.

I used MC-Machine for my gauge cluster plate. I think it looks better than the Florida50 ones, personally.

Also, if you don't mind spending the coin, there are GPS speedos out there now. I don't know how well they work in cars, but I had a Sea-Doo with one and it was very cool.

Thanks for the feedback raceoholic! Those MC-machine cluster plates do look nice, I may end up going with that if I go with one of the first two options. If not, I'll have to call and see about machining a custom plate.
I looked into the motorcycle gauges, the best options I see there are the Harley & triumph gauges. They look nice, only thing that bugs me is the logo. I'll have to pry deeper into the aftermarket.
As for the GPS speedo, don't think I'll do that. D-PIC is really the only gadget I want, the rest if like to keep as simplistic as possible.