Custom gauge install on 2000 GT - where CD player goes

2000BLKGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2001
Toronto
Hey Folks,

Need some insight here.

I'm doing a custom stereo in my 2000 GT and I'll be tossing both the stock deck as well as the CD player. So I'm planning to mount a custom gauge cluster where the CD player goes...a bit more trick than simply installing a cubby-hole.

Has anyone here done this?

The initial thought is to take one of those cubby-holes that snaps in like the deck would...and fabricate the piece with a faceplate, and likely cut the back off of it to accommodate the wiring. I'm going with two Autometer lunar gauges (to match the rest of the gauges)...just Oil pressure and Voltmeter.

If anyone could offer any insight or ideas...it would be much appreciated.

Cheers:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Some guy on eBay sells a kit like that for our cars, except I think it sort of just relocates the CD player.

I think if you delete everything in there, you're going to have a ton of leftover blank space.. so maybe along with the gauges you could put something else to fill space.. LED indicators or something maybe? :shrug:

Here's what I did on my old '98, and I know '99 and '00's are the same...I had 3 2-1/16 Autometer Phantom gauges(mechanical water temp, mechanical vacuum, and volt meter). I used a mudflap for the gauge holder. I know now someone makes a gauge holder for this area, I'm just notsure who. Let me know if you want more pics.

Oh yeah, you can tap into the dash lighting and dim the gauges the same as the rest of the dash. I don't really have anymore hints, but if I think of something, I'll let you know. Also, I had a volt meter, it is really pointless. All it does is show 12v w/ ignition on and 14v with car running. If I were you, do electric water temp and oil pressure gauge.

Attachments

• Picture 0223.jpg
    Picture 0223.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 332
  • Picture 0253.jpg
    Picture 0253.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 677
I was wanting to do the same thing except use the space for toggle switches for my fan and a line lock... plus some other things possibly down the road. Any ideas where I might find one? I've seen gauge/toggle combos for older 5.0s but not for this particular application.

elite130 said:
Here's what I did on my old '98, and I know '99 and '00's are the same...I had 3 2-1/16 Autometer Phantom gauges(mechanical water temp, mechanical vacuum, and volt meter). I used a mudflap for the gauge holder. I know now someone makes a gauge holder for this area, I'm just notsure who. Let me know if you want more pics.

Oh yeah, you can tap into the dash lighting and dim the gauges the same as the rest of the dash. I don't really have anymore hints, but if I think of something, I'll let you know. Also, I had a volt meter, it is really pointless. All it does is show 12v w/ ignition on and 14v with car running. If I were you, do electric water temp and oil pressure gauge.

bingo...this is what I was looking for.

how exactly did you mount the faceplate with the gauges into the cluster?

you can send me a PM if you want.

appreciate the help:nice:

Spreadman said:
I bought the gauges. Then I called up Florida 5.0 (http://www.florida50.com) talked to Andy....and bought the dash pod and DIN replacement panel. Then I shipped everything off to Modular Powerhouse and they installed them when I did my blower and motor.

thanks for the link Spreadman:nice:

they're making me one that'll hold two gauges centered in the panel...should be up here within a week:nice:

hey bro thats sound like a pretty cool project. If it were me i'd see if scosche or a dash kit company makes a double din for our cars.. or hell i'd just get the mustang single din kit with the cubby hole for the other din... and then i'd either see if i can buy some mounts.. or make some mounts out of fiberglass. :) letme know how it goes.
2000BLKGT said:
Hey Folks,

Need some insight here.

I'm doing a custom stereo in my 2000 GT and I'll be tossing both the stock deck as well as the CD player. So I'm planning to mount a custom gauge cluster where the CD player goes...a bit more trick than simply installing a cubby-hole.

Has anyone here done this?

The initial thought is to take one of those cubby-holes that snaps in like the deck would...and fabricate the piece with a faceplate, and likely cut the back off of it to accommodate the wiring. I'm going with two Autometer lunar gauges (to match the rest of the gauges)...just Oil pressure and Voltmeter.

If anyone could offer any insight or ideas...it would be much appreciated.

Cheers:nice: