Custom H pipe question, need experienced advice

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
My buddy has an S10 that currently has straight pipes on it and we're looking to make a crossover pipe for it (basically an H pipe). What i'm curious about is, does it matter how long that crossover pipe is? On most Mustang H pipes you see, the pipes come together and the " - " in the middle is only 6 inches long or so....with his, the pipes come straight off the headers so that crossover will be at least as wide as the headers are, which i figure is at least a foot and a half wide. We're trying to be as cheap cost wise as possible so we're trying to avoid getting into mandrel bends and making it all by scratch..we just wanna weld in a crossover and go but we're unsure if it'll be ok being that long.

• Sponsors (?)

Supposedly the length of the H-pipe is not terribly important, what is important is the distance of the H pipe from the engine. "Experts" say to take a crayon and make a mark from where the exhaust bolts to the headers down the exhaust pipe towards the mufflers and then run the car.

Where the crayon mark stops melting is where you should weld in the crossover.

Good luck

Supposedly the length of the H-pipe is not terribly important, what is important is the distance of the H pipe from the engine. "Experts" say to take a crayon and make a mark from where the exhaust bolts to the headers down the exhaust pipe towards the mufflers and then run the car.

Where the crayon mark stops melting is where you should weld in the crossover.

Good luck

Yeah i've heard of doing this trick, but with grease instead of crayon, and for making collectors off the end of headers but i can see where it would make the same sense with the crossover.

You want it as short as possible, for the same concept that makes X pipes work so well. You want the exhaust pulse to travel as short as possible a distance to relieve the pressure differences. Of course, any crossover is better than none.