Custom subwoofer box (work in progress)

goland55

Founding Member
Feb 9, 2002
New Bedford, MA
Well, some of you might have seen me mention the custom subwoofer box I'm working on for the stang....here are some teaser pics (battery died after these two were taken).

I test fitted it tonight where the back of the back seat used to be and it fits very well (though snug). Tomorrow I'll be putting the carpeting on and possibly testing it out prior to installing it. I'll snap some more pictures when the camera batteries are charged.

The box is sealed and fits 2 10's and 2 6.5's and has 1.39 cu. ft per sub. The two subs are separated and the 6.5's are isolated from the subs. The frequency response should be relatively flat.

The speakers are just what I had laying around...nothing too fancy as I'm tight on money at the moment. I plan on powering the subs with a 600w peak amp (~150w RMS X 2 ch @ 2 ohm (subs are dual voice coil)). The 6.5's are going to be powered with some cheapo 110w peak noname amp I was given a while ago.

subbox1.JPG

subbox2.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

For anyone who's interested...here's some more pics of the sub box

Test fit:
subboxtestfit1.JPG

Another shot:
subboxtestfit2.JPG

The sub box is carpeted:
subboxpostcarpet.JPG

I extended all the stereo wiring to reach the new radio location today in addition to sealing the inner compartments of the box.

Looks good man, I like the idea of the flip up radio. I think I will take out my back seat some time and make something like that so I can keep some basic tools in.

Dan

lg_Picture%20006.jpg

Thanks. The 6 disc cd changer will be going on the hinged door on the other side. I'll be carpeting that deck piece and also the area underneath (it's pretty nasty due to ATF from the convertible top cylinders leaking at one time before I got the car). I'll be putting the two amps in the cubby holes and perhaps use it for a little storage if there's space left.

I'll also be doing some custom interior paneling soon.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to lay my new carpeting immediately as I found a water leak behind the dash on the driver's side. Apparently water's been leaking down under the firewall insulation and rotting away the floor right below the brake pedal. I'll probably be tearing out the dash this week to try to fix that (and maybe removing the insulation while I'm in there). Perhaps I'll decide to modify some more stuff in the process. :nice:

Well, I'm almost done with the sub box. All I need to do is get my amp installed, make up some custom side paneling, make access holes for the radio and cd changer and screw the sub box in to the upper rear seat rail.

Here's some current pics...

subinstall1.jpg

subinstall3.jpg

subinstall2.jpg

subinstall4.jpg

In other news, my black carpeting came in so I can recarpet the rest of the car soon. I'm also hoping to have my T5 rebuild done this weekend and while hopefully have the car up and running with a manual transmission sometime next week. :nice: