Custom Tuners

mali1966

Apr 12, 2005
Champaign ,IL
I have to admit Im clueless on all the different options out there for flashing / programming your OBDII . Has anyone had a good , bad story about using any of the programers out there ?

I have been looking at a couple different units. Sniper Spartan (wich I know hooks into my laptop). Also along the same lines Sniper makes a chip and burner set.(Where would you get a tune to upload to this ?) Last thing I saw on the web sight was the Scout system. Now this just appears to be the same as a Diablo Sport "Predator" programmer ?

Just trying to figure out all the options out there and if it is really worth the effort . I would really love to do a 3 pull custom program somewhere but dont know a good place in Central Illinois. Are email programs good and wich one of these systems is the best to use to upload it to your OBDII ?

• Sponsors (?)

mali1966 said:
I have to admit Im clueless on all the different options out there for flashing / programming your OBDII . Has anyone had a good , bad story about using any of the programers out there ?

I have been looking at a couple different units. Sniper Spartan (wich I know hooks into my laptop). Also along the same lines Sniper makes a chip and burner set.(Where would you get a tune to upload to this ?) Last thing I saw on the web sight was the Scout system. Now this just appears to be the same as a Diablo Sport "Predator" programmer ?

Just trying to figure out all the options out there and if it is really worth the effort . I would really love to do a 3 pull custom program somewhere but dont know a good place in Central Illinois. Are email programs good and wich one of these systems is the best to use to upload it to your OBDII ?

I think the most flexible setup is the SCT software/flasher combo IMHO. either you get the flasher and get a mail order tune from somewhere like ModularDepot (used to be Apten) or you also also purchase the SCT Pro Racer Package and you can then modify the tune yourself after somewhat of a tough learning curve, not recommended if you are not both familiar with tuning cars and the parameters involved and computers. Now the problem with SCT was that their handheld flasher didn't datalog like the Predator, the new X-Calibrator II will also datalog. That means the extra $4 bills I laid out for the SCT Raptor datalogger (required if you want to do your own tuning, so you know what is going on) is no longer required! Check out the SCT website the new setup is due out anyday. Anything other than a Diablo Predator or a SCT X-Calibrator will leave you unsatisfied because those two companies have been going at it with the Ford EEC-II the longest and have the most tuners using their software and have the most base tunes already tested for about every combination of modifications imaginable.

If you decide to tune yourself or even if you just want to be more involved in what is going on with your car (ie: is my tune safe, etc.) you will also want to install a WideBand O2 sensor. I went with a Innovative LM-1, but the WideBand Commander is the most popular. Now hit the ALL the forums (modularfords, svtperformance, corral) and start to do some searches and you will be able to make the best decision for yourself and your desired level of involvement.

- 04_snake

alot of people are starting to go the SCT route. it was very new when I was looking os noone had anything to say about it yet. so with that I bought the diablo predator. I like it and I am able to run diagnostics and read trouble codes. go in and make changes to fuel timing and things like that. I havent done a whole lot with it but I like it for the mods I have. also alot of dealers will give you unlimited custom tunes once you buy from them.

tom's_03SVT said:
SCT software/flasher combo

+1

that what i use now and love the ease od install and the price for custom tuning.

I was under the impression that a custom tune can't be beat. I may be get both...but I'm saying the SCT is tune for general or the common tune right?

So I don't see how a personal hand tuner is going to do the job of say a dyno and a technician.

:shrug: