Custome intake with two or three throttle bodies!

tim_the_toolman

Founding Member
Nov 30, 2001
Nashville TN
I was thumbing through some OLD mags and saw a custom upper intake a guy made with three stock throttle bodies bolted on top. it looked killer. But what would it do to a car performance wise? He apparently wasn't running mass air. Any ideas. I think it would really be a neat idea if the tuning could be done right.

• Sponsors (?)

I know the car you're talking about. I remember reading about it too.

I think could let one throttle position sensor provide that info to the computer and block off the second. Or you could try to wire up a resistor that would cut the output of the 2 sensors in half.

Yeaht the sensor would be easy enough (just use one), the IAC may just be left on one too. But it almost seems like you would have to stick with speed density, which I currentl have. In that case you are limited with power oput anyway so the extra airflow doesnt even make sense.

Here's what I was thinking of doing if it would all fit.

Make a custom intake that has the tb's on top and make a custom bonnet that has a tube running to the mass air and filiter with a k and n before the mass air.

Or

Build a intake with two tb's on the front over the distributor (gulp, like a ls1) and then run a tube to the meter.

Or

Build a intake with both tb's coming off the back and run a tube into the cowl where the filter and mass air would be stashed if it could all clear the wipers.

I just like being different, I want everything on my car custom or one-off. I will be running nitrous, and I dont plan on installing a blower. Plus if a use a heavily ported stock lower I can get the whole thing to flow arund 200 cfm. If it doesn't all work well I can just toss my other intake back on and it's no biggie. It look killer for car shows though, if I can pull it off. I like the idea of putting the TB in the back the best but idon't know if there is enough room to fit them in. obviously the smog crap is gone already.

tim_the_toolman said:
Yeaht the sensor would be easy enough (just use one), the IAC may just be left on one too. But it almost seems like you would have to stick with speed density, which I currentl have. In that case you are limited with power oput anyway so the extra airflow doesnt even make sense.

Not if you go with a Western Motorsports plug in, tunable computer replacement. keep the speed density and tune it for your combo. It's like $1000 bucks. Pretty cool too.

Ideally, the 2nd TB would be on a staggered delay from the first, or setup on a secondary throttle cable to only open when the gas is depressed more then a certain percentage. That way you would have the benfit of gas mileadge if you wanted to go easy on it, but when you stomped it, both would open up, and equate to one hell of a flow.

It's very similiar to old carb technology with the primary and secondary barrels. Mind you I don't know a ton about carbs, but my dads 72 chevy pickup has a custom carb that has tiny primaries so he can cruise, but MONSTROUS secondaries that only open with harder accel. A friend of named Brawly down in Charleston SC used to make them, but I'm not sure he can anymore. (Pet racoon tore his hand up, 290 stitches and some nerve damage:notnice: )

*Note: Just cause I know some serious hillbillies, doesn't mean I am one :flag:

Well the more I look into it clearence will be an issue with any mounting method, unless i cut my hood or get a huge cowl. The only thing I can think of actually working and fitting is for two tb's to come off the stock location but on a custom upper.

custom upper is big bucks, especially since you have to be careful and not have ones that disperse the a/f mixture unevenly. You could maybe fab up a connector plate/tube setup that merges the 2 tb's into 1 outlet tube that mates up to your upper, but that would lead to even more clearance issues, unless it extended a decent amount away from your upper and repositioned the TB's near the fender.

The only question in that setup would be if there is a minimum distance that the TB should be away from the upper intake manifold, or could it be extended out 10 or so inches and connected via a 75mm tube or whatever your upper would accept. My assumption would be that it would lead to a possible bog point for air, but once again, all speculation.