Cutting Dash For Good Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, The 65 convert is mostly original but I have been changing things, value dont matter much to me, But I have to look good and go fast, I took out the original interior and added pony int and installed a roll bar and shoulder belts all around, I welded in frame connectors and took out the original 289 and am building a 347 blown stroker to go in, see my last post on the engine, I will keep the body stock looking, no hood or flares. I dont want to cut the dash and I do like the glovebox idea but I wander if a new style stereo would fit in the shifter console behind the console flip up door, If so it would make a great hide away stereo. anyone done this before.

• Sponsors (?)

The use of profanity and **** convey no meanung except to indicate that the user is at a loss for words. If all radios are now sized the same then I've learned something (not unusual). The avatar, IMO, should be related to Mustangs, but suit yourself. The analogy IS on the mark as it is highly visible and difficult to repair unlike a cylinder wall.

Now that the original posterhas explaned his intent, perhaps we can all calm down. :nice:

WHOA, time out. Lets keep the stereo(no pun indented)typical remakes and such out. SD, remaking on 67Vert’s avatar was in it self, childish. And 67Vert, insulting SD's "stock as a rock" is just as bad. I have only been on Stangnet for about 6 months now, but I respect both of you A LOT. SD for his knowledge and ability to restore a Mustang to its factory splendor; and 67Vert for his shear ability and skill required to tackle the project that he is. We have two VERY knowable people here, but with different POV's on what to do to a Mustang. SD is the bone stock kind of man, while 67Vert is a custom fabrication kind of guy. You two have exact opposite views when it comes to restoring a Mustang, and you should respect the others POV instead of insulting it. What it all boils down to is that it is TOM B’s Mustang, and he can do whatever he pleases with it. If he wants to rice it out, then that’s HIS CHOICE, no one else’s. Yes, I would strongly recommended that he not rice out an American classics, but that’s all, I don’t have to right to do anything else. A couple options have been brought up here, and it’s TOM B’s job to decide not only what he has the ability to do, but what he wants to do. Let’s just make suggestions on what to do, nothing more. TOM B: something you might think about is to have the deck hanging off the dash directly below were the factory one went, then put a metal backing plate over the holes left in the dash by the factory stereo and use body filler to cover them up. This way you don’t do major damage to the dash, yet you can still mount the deck outside were you can see it. I would suggest that if you do this that you make a custom box to go around the deck. Just my .02, nothing more.

-Shaun

coolblue65 said:
Unless you have some rare stang (in which case I would say dont cut) do what you want-its your car. I put my Pioneer CD head unit in the dash and its a real clean install. I will never sell my car or ever try to make it anything even close to original, so I didnt even think twice about putting it in the dash.

I agree with you 100%. I don't think the adding of a newer stereo will decrease the value of my 6 cyl 3 spd vin'd 347 stroker 6 speed car. If I had a rare stang I would not have cut it. I like mine (see pic below).

CoolBlue65 - Did you take your picture going 100 mph or what? :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

int1a02.JPG

I installed a Pioneer deck under the dash in my old Fairlane. I left the stock radio in the dash and used a mounting kit for thre new radio... The mounting kit was black plastic so it blended into the under dash area pretty cleanly. I would also suggest fabbing a cover door to hide the deck. Paint it to match the dash and wala the best of both worlds :nice:

gp001 said:
I agree with you 100%. I don't think the adding of a newer stereo will decrease the value of my 6 cyl 3 spd vin'd 347 stroker 6 speed car. If I had a rare stang I would not have cut it. I like mine (see pic below).

CoolBlue65 - Did you take your picture going 100 mph or what? :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

int1a02.JPG

:shrug: Yeah I knew it was a blury pic when I posted it...I was actually using a digital camera that was real sensitive-oh well it gets the point across.

HELLO_____HELLO, this is still my post. Sorry to pi$$ off so many stangers.
I just want good sound and will never buy a Custom autosound again.
Lets not make war here, If I want to cut my dash OR THE CAR IN HALF,, I WILL.
But I came up with a better idea, to try to put the radio in my console behind the large door, dont know if it will fit though. If it fits I will put back in the stock radio!!! so calm down, take a breath, in ,, out,, very good.

The main reason I cut mine was accessability. I'm 17 in a pretty small town so I'm changin CDs every 15 mins and changing the volume through certain neighborhoods, etc., so having the cd player anywhere but the dash wouldn't only be inconvienient but dangerous. All the other alternatives seem like they would be a pain to access, with the exception of the one under the dash. Anyways, I'm another vote for "go for it, it's your car". There's plenty of good brands out there, I like my alpine a lot, and have heard pioneer, sony (only players, I've heard their speakers aren't great), and eclipse make great stuff. But then again you could put a portable cd player with a pair of battery powered speakers in there and notice an improvement over CAS =).
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

MrBobMarley said:
Nice CD player man, here's mine.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p8b0576905a64b05bcc81f816135ed489/fb051bcd.jpg.orig.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It sounds like you enjoy your deck I am jealous, I couldn't hate mine more. I bought it for $20 from a friend as a temp replacement for my Eclipse deck that broke when the heater core was getting serviced. It worked fine in his car and in mine for a while, although it was no Eclipse how I loved that deck, then one day just wouldn't play CD's anymore. So now I'm left w/the receiver, which is one of the weakest tuners I have ever had the joy of experiencing.

I will never make the mistake of buying another RF product ever again.

That sucks to hear man. I havent had a hint of problems with mine and I've had it since 99. I like it cause it's so simple and ugly, who would steal it? No flashy effects or video screens, just a reliable player.

As for hacking up my dash, it was hacked by the po, for a tape deck no less. My car is as plain vanilla as they come, so I have no issue at all with modding it. Stock is nice, but not for me.

livyx95gt said:
There is someone on this board who used one to mount to the tunnel right infront of his shifter, or you could use it as intended and have it hanging below the dash. It doesn't look bad when in the car and preserves the dash. If you want I will even sell you mine for a decent price, its not like I have any use for it now.

Zach
[email protected] if you are interested

I did the same with my 65 coupe. I mounted the unit right below the dash. It looked & sounded good.

But it sounds like you are into modifying your car. There are plenty of people that have been customizing all kinds of cars for years. I don’t see why you can’t make a permanent modification for a higher quality / newer technology item. Most of us have added some new technology and in some cases, it’s not easily reversible, but who cares? The car doesn’t sound like it should ever revert back to showroom stock (it would cost too much).. At least enjoy the car the way that you want to.

Let me through my .02 in here. I have owned 8 or so stangs over the years. I just sold a 98GT to buy a 67GT Fastback. Had one in high school and have always wanted another one. Trying to find one that is not rusted out, has not been wrecked, or complete cut up has been a problem unless I wanted to spend 25k+ for one. Well this one has been tubbed and has a 10 point cage welded in it. The car is rust free and lived in texas its whole life. I am going to restore as much as I can body wise except for the tubbes and cage. I am going to drag race it. But I want the body as stock looking inside and out as possible. You have to remember that after the 70's there are no cars that will last and stand the test of time. Plastic is not going to be here in 25 years. So the old muscle cars is what going to be left. Cutting them up, letting them sit outside and rust away is just a shame. Like this one I bought. When the guy did it 20+ years ago he probably didnt even think about the car and what would it be worth 20 years later. If this one was still factory stock it would bring a silly amount of money. I know I never gave it a second thought when I modded one years ago.
Now its your car. Cut it or not. Do what you want.

67vert said:
You basically have 3 options 1,1.5,and 2 din.

Can someone educate me on the different DIN sizes? I tried looking it up on the web & couldn't find much. What are the dimensions between these different Dins and how far off are they from the old stalk radios? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.