cylinder head removal/install questions...rocker arms

tomc3

Jun 5, 2011
1994 cobra - removing cylinder head to get one @%$#%$^ bolt that is rusted in the head (front bolt, drivers side - rusted in and broke off cobalt bit in the hole, so head come off to get that bolt hole taken care of).

Never been inside a 302, so I have some basic questions:

1) do I need to remove the rockers to remove the head? Or can I leave them on and simply unbolt the head?
2) on reinstall, do I have to mess with the rockers, or just be sure the pushrods are in the same locations?

I'm hoping I can just pull the head without messing with the rocker arms, but lemme know!

If there are other steps a noob should know, please add to this thread! Thanks - TC3

• Sponsors (?)

They don't have to come off, but it makes it easier. If not, the pushrods will go everywhere when you lift the head off. They should come off before you torque the head back down to ensure an accurate torque setting. It's best to put all that stuff back in the rifght locations. Just put it all on a labeled piece of cardboard.

Kurt

I had something similar happen to me. You seriously need to get the head off? I was able to drill through and save the threads. I'm assuming you're talking about one of the bolts that's near the distributor or the thermostat housing, right? If so, those bolt holes don't even go INTO the head, just through the ledge of the head.

the head has to come off. it needs to go to the machine shop. and they are going to have a hard time with it, it will need to be drilled out tapped and heli coiled,you dont have to completely unbolt the rockers you can loosen them up enough to slide them out enough to pull the push rods out, but you should loosen them up and pull them out because that head is heavy and if for some reason you lose grip or pull on it wrong you could get one of those pinched in there and bend it

problem was self-induced

I tried easy-outs and also my son got some small drill bits...in this case, they were cobalt and I broke 2 bits in the hole . I can't find anything that's harder and can remove cobalt bits, so I'm hosed. I understand that edm can be used to get the bolt and bits out - I expect that the hole will need to be helicoiled

I tried easy-outs and also my son got some small drill bits...in this case, they were cobalt and I broke 2 bits in the hole . I can't find anything that's harder and can remove cobalt bits, so I'm hosed. I understand that edm can be used to get the bolt and bits out - I expect that the hole will need to be helicoiled

thats what im telling you , once you break a bit in the head there is no way you will get that out at home. i did the same thing on my fox and had to take it in to get out. i bought everything from ez outs to the best drill bits you can get and i broke everything trying to get my original bit out, it only costed me about 50$ to get it all fixed