Engine Cylinder Head Torque Specs

Slowpony98

Mar 22, 2017
99 mustang gt cylinder head being put on. Watched videos and cant find right torque specs. I know the pattern to torque but keep seeing torque to total 70 ft lbs and some websites like late model and others saying torque to ONLY 30 ft lbs(what) ...... Plz help

• Sponsors (?)

From the factory Ford uses Torque to yield (TTY) bolts. My Ford service manual for 1999 model year 4.6 says:

1. Tighten the bolts in six stages in the sequence shown.
    • Stage 1: Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
    • Stage 2: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
    • Stage 3: Loosen the bolts a minimum of one full turn.
    • Stage 4: Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
    • Stage 5: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
    • Stage 6: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

From the factory Ford uses Torque to yield (TTY) bolts. My Ford service manual for 1999 model year 4.6 says:

1. Tighten the bolts in six stages in the sequence shown.
    • Stage 1: Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
    • Stage 2: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
    • Stage 3: Loosen the bolts a minimum of one full turn.
    • Stage 4: Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
    • Stage 5: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
    • Stage 6: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.
I've come across same sequence.....Amy idea why others might have such a huge difference with telling me to torque to 70ft lbs ??? 30 seems like way to loose

IMO you are failing to take into account the two EXTRA steps of "Tighten an additional 90 degrees".......

The people who are stuck on a specific torque setting don't understand what is special about a torque to yield bolt.

IMO you are failing to take into account the two EXTRA steps of "Tighten an additional 90 degrees".......

The people who are stuck on a specific torque setting don't understand what is special about a torque to yield bolt.
Heard that...... Nust seemed weird but ill go with it. Gotta be right were u and multiple sites said same thing. Thanks wmburns